Etihad Airways to sponsor F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix for further four years
The national airline of Abu Dhabi, Etihad Airways, has signed an agreement extending the sponsorship of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix for further four years. The airline specialises in providing flights for Abu Dhabi holidays and to other global destinations.
Etihad Airways has signed a four-year agreement extending its sponsorship of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix until 2015. The airline provides flights for Abu Dhabi holidays from worldwide destinations, as well as services to over 70 cities across 46 countries. Etihad Airways has been the major sponsor for the Formula One event in the United Arab Emirate since its first race in 2009.
This year's race will see hundreds of Formula One fans taking Abu Dhabi holidays in November so that they can see the races live at the Yas Marina Circuit. Chief Executive of Etihad Airways, James Hogan, and the Formula One Group Chief, Bernie Ecclestone signed the multi-million dollar deal.
Hogan said: "This sponsorship extension goes against the current commercial trend of shorter sponsorship terms and demonstrates our long-term commitment to Formula One.
"We have seen that F1 is a highly effective vehicle, no pun intended, for promoting the values of the Etihad brand and showcasing our home city of Abu Dhabi to a massive global audience. The additional four year term also allows us to strengthen our footprint with F1 and leverage our investment in their global platform more strategically."
The Formula One event will be taking place from 11th-13th November, 2011 at the Yas Marina Track on the manmade Yas Island which is located approximately 30 minutes from the centre of Abu Dhabi. The track is almost 3.5 miles long with 21 bends and runs past the marina, through one of the most unique Abu Dhabi hotels - the Yas Marina Hotel - and along sand dunes.
Bernie Ecclestone commented: "The Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has been an immense success for Etihad, Abu Dhabi and for Formula One, bringing the airline and destination to an estimate worldwide audience of more than 500 million F1 fans.
"The influx of visitors travelling to Abu Dhabi also brings a direct economic benefit, with over 20,000 people pouring into the UAE for the event, representing tens of millions of dollars for the local tourism industry."
Etihad Airways will promote the Formula One racing event through its marketing campaigns and the airline operates two F1-branded aircraft to destinations across the world. One of these specially-decorated aircraft will do a flyover of the Yas Marina Circuit to officially open the this year's races in Abu Dhabi.
Etihad Airways is Abu Dhabi's national carrier and its success in providing flights for holidays to Abu Dhabi and cities worldwide has been recognised by the World Travel Awards after it was recently voted as the World's Leading Airline in 2011 for the second year in a row.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover everything the ‘Island of the Gods’ has to offer with a stay in the buzzing Seminyak area
- Incredible value upgrades to private pool rooms
- Free upgrade to Taum Studio Pool View room
- Complimentary shuttle to town centre and Petitenget Beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...