Dubai to host First Leg of Fina Swimming World Cup Series in October
Swimming enthusiasts will be getting ready to book their Dubai holidays as it is revealed that the emirate will be hosting the opening of the Fina Swimming World Cup in October 2011 before the contest moves onto Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo.
Dubai is set to see an increased influx of visitors in October after it was announced that the city would be hosting the opening of the FINA/ARENA Swimming World Cup 2011.
The seven-leg World Cup series is expected to attract competitors and their supporters from all over the world to the United Arab Emirate.
The event will take place at the Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Sports Complex on 7th and 8th October 2011 where swimming enthusiasts will be able to cheer on their teams during Dubai holidays.
Dr Ahmed Saad Al Sharif, the Secretary General of Dubai Sports Council, said: “It is a great honour to be hosting this fantastic event for the first time in Dubai.
“We hosted a wonderfully successful FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships at the end of last year where some of the biggest names in swimming at the moment such as Ryan Lochte thrilled the crowds with world record-breaking performances.
"I have no doubt that we will once again witness some incredible action over the two days in October.”
Ahmed Al Falasi, President of the UAE Swimming Federation, added that they are looking forward to seeing both international tourists watching the swimming events during their holidays in Dubai, and local residents supporting their nation.
“With so many nationalities living in Dubai, we are encouraging spectators to come out and show their support for their teams as they take each other on in this spectacular state-of-the-art venue which is still new to many.”
“And of course, we will all be cheering on our own UAE swimmers as they take on the world,” added Al Falasi.
The swimming competition is divided into 34 individual races in a 25m pool and the winner of each will receive a prize of $1,500. Swimmers taking second and third place in each race will receive $1,000 and $500, respectively resulting in a total prize pool of US$102,000 on offer from the United Arab Emirates Swimming Federation.
Swimmers taking part in the World Cup will also have the chance to win US$10,000 for each new world record set at the event.
Dubai hotels are likely to be packed throughout the two-day event which will bring tourists from all over the globe to the thriving UAE city. After its opening in Dubai, the contest will move onto Stockholm, Moscow, Berlin, Singapore, Beijing and Tokyo.
The emirate offers plenty of activities for visitors taking Dubai holidays including the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest structure that features nine luxury Dubai hotels and an impressive fountain system; the Dubai Marina; Wild Wadi Park; the Dubai Mall; and traditional markets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine West Crescent of Dubai’s iconic Palm Jumeirah
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay and play FREE
Experience the wonders of Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restaurants, sandy beaches and unmatched shopping, all for an unbeatable price
- Unwind in your beautifully designed room or suite featuring all your modern amenities and stunning views
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
Treat your family to an unforgettable adventure at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a wide range of dining options
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
The new Sofitel The Palm Dubai epitomizes understated luxury combined with the utmost comfort. Located on Dubai's iconic...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm, and enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine. One of the most...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...