Unexpected Cuba holidays for U.S. passengers as plane diverts its route
After detecting a foul smell, a United Airlines airplane made an emergency island in the Cuban capital. All U.S. passengers onboard were treated to very short Cuba holidays as they waited for a new plane to take them to their final destination in Cancun.
Due to an unforeseen emergency during a flight route between Washington and Mexico, some passengers were treated to unexpected and very brief holidays in Cuba, as the plane landed in Havana last Sunday after the crew detected a strange odour in the cabin.
Authorities have revealed that in an extreme measure of precaution, United Airlines Flight 831 from Dulles International Airport (AID) made an emergency landing in Havana’s International Jose Marti airport, thus deviating from its original destination at Cancun International Airport.
The plane carried a total of 135 passengers on board and five crew members (two pilots and three flight attendants) when after noticing an “unfamiliar smell” that a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration described as similar to “a strong electrical odour” in the cockpit, the pilots decided to land in the Caribbean island as a precautionary measure.
“In an abundance of caution, the pilots decided to land the aircraft at the nearest available airport.” the airline’s release statement read. The plane landed in Havana Internationa Airport (HAV) at noon and it had left Dulles just before 9.00am. It was supposed to take passengers to Cancun holidays and arrive at their final destination in the Mexican Riviera at 11.27am.
Instead, U.S. passengers who are not normally allowed (except in special circumstances and with special permits and licenses) to travel to Cuba or enjoy any sort of recreational or leisure trip to Cuba, were given a short Cuba holiday experience after the plane remained on the ground, in Havana for several hours as the airline arranged to have a new plane sent over.
The plane remained on land in the Caribbean nation as of 5.15pm and Charlie Hobart, a spokesman for United Airlines said the airline was “working to reaccommodate our customers," further announcing that another plane was being ferried in from Cancun to then take the passengers to their final destination.
Normally, there are very tight restrictions (even when now under Obama’s rule there have been some alterations allowing for more special licenses for Cuba travel) on the travel of U.S. citizens to the Communist state of Cuba, based on federal law. United Airlines does not typically fly to Cuba, and this incident is unprecedented.
Recently, however, there have been some changes to U.S. regulations with regards to Cuba travel, as now the legislation has been ammended to allow certaing groups of citizens to visit the island for cultural, educational and humanitarian purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Explore two different sides of Cuba with excellent range of facilities and entertainments
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling at Iberostar Tainos
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Nh Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Explore downtown Havana and enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay in your legendary Havana Hotel
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Seize this opportunity to explore Cuba's mystical and ancient capital from top to bottom, savouring its enduring...