Air Jamaica flights now operating under Caribbean Airlines
As of 1st July, 2011, Air Jamaica flights taking travellers to their Caribbean holidays will be operating under Caribbean Airlines' BW code, as the acquisition of the Jamaican airline was finally completed since the move was first announced last year.
Air Jamaica flights will now be operating under the ‘BW’ code of Caribbean Airlines after the Trinidad and Tobago-owned airline completed its acquisition of Jamaica’s national carrier last week.
Travellers taking Caribbean holidays will receive the best quality service during their flights which will operate under the two brand names, and the Chairman of Caribbean Airlines, George Nicholas, said that a "truly Caribbean airline will now be of service to the Caribbean and its people."
Acting Chief Executive Officer of Caribbean Airlines, Robert Corbie, spoke of both carriers' operations under the same code, and said, "We continue to pursue our philosophy of 'one airline, two brands' … This will mark a milestone in the streamlining and merging of operations and routes."
The move was first announced in May 2010 and the deal includes the Jamaican government to have a 16 per cent share in BW. A government representative will be also appointed to Caribbean Airlines’ board of directors.
A statement from BW explained that the carriers "will be able to realise the cost synergies that were anticipated from the onset. In addition to operating under the same flight code, the airlines are moving towards one fleet type for both Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica and customers will also notice that front line staff for both carriers will be custom uniformed to represent both brands."
Speaking of the two brands, Corbie added: "We have maintained the Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica experience by retaining separate in-flight videos and magazines for that distinction between the brands for the customer, as we want our customers to experience the best service from both brands."
BW have also secured an agreement on the arrival of nine ATR 72-600s this autumn which will be used to operate some of the flights serving the Jamaica holidays market.
Caribbean Airlines operates flights for Caribbean holidays across the region including popular holiday destinations such as Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Grenada, the Bahamas, Canada and the United States.
Up until the acquisition, Air Jamaica had been providing travellers with flights that flew them to holidays in Jamaica since 1973 when it was first established as Jamaica Air Taxi. In 2005, after financial struggles, the airline stopped its operations and tourists taking holidays to Jamaica were reassigned to Jetstar Airways.
The news of the deal has welcomed by many Caribbean hotels, businesses and tourism officials, as not only will the airline takeover provide new jobs, but the region can also expect a boost in tourist arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover everything the ‘Island of the Gods’ has to offer with a stay in the buzzing Seminyak area
- Incredible value upgrades to private pool rooms
- Free upgrade to Taum Studio Pool View room
- Complimentary shuttle to town centre and Petitenget Beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...