Sandals Resorts Offers Volunteer Programme for Guests
Travellers seeking volunteer opportunities during their Caribbean holidays will be able to take part in a new literacy programme which has been launched by Sandals Resorts International to help improve the reading and listening skills of local children.
Just very recently Sandals Resorts International has launched a new volunteer programme at many of its resorts which will enable travellers taking Caribbean holidays to ‘give back’ to the local community.
The Reading Road Trip programme involves a two-hour session where tourists visit the Sandals Foundation’s adopted local basic and primary schools across the Caribbean region, to participate in reading activities within small groups of children aged 5-7 years old.
The sessions are also attended by facilitators who are on hand to guide tourists on how to engage the children and encourage them in the given tasks.
This is the first voluntourism programme to be launched by Sandals Resorts International and it is available for travellers taking Caribbean holidays across all of its Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts in Antigua, St Lucia, Jamaica, The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos.
Chief Executive of Sandals Resorts International, Adam Stewart, explained: “The chance to ‘give back’ has been a customer request for some time, so we are thrilled to finally be able to offer our guests the opportunity to take part in the work we consider so vitally important.”
Guests staying at participating Sandals Resorts will be able to take part in the volunteer activities between September and mid-June every Thursday from 9am until 11am whilst schools are in session.
The cost of the programme is US$20 per person, which covers all transport and supplies for the session, and children coming along with parents on holidays to Jamaica, Antigua, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, and St Lucia, who are aged between 8-12 years of age will be able to participate free of charge but they must be accompanied by an adult.
Stewart added: “It’s an extraordinary thing to connect with the people of a place; to know them and to make a real difference in their lives. This is our first step into developing programming that allows our guests to do just that. I expect guests who participate will leave our resorts feeling fabulous – body and soul.”
Volunteers are asked to bring with them a new or gently-used book which will be donated to their school’s library. Sandals owns resorts across the Caribbean and provide luxury all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean for couples, families, friends and solo travellers. Last year, the hotel group was awarded the title of the World’ Leading All-Inclusive Company at the World Travel Awards.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Complimentary shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool Access
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...