Indian Travellers Overtake Britons as Top Tourism Market in Dubai
The number of Indian travellers taking Dubai holidays has overtaken the number of tourists from the United Kingdom, according to the Dubai Department of Tourism, with visitor arrivals from India increasing by ten per cent during the first quarter of 2011.
According to statistics from the Dubai Department of Tourism, the number of travellers from India taking Dubai holidays has overtaken the amount of tourists from the United Kingdom who visit the emirate.
During the first three months of 2011, figures for Indian visitors taking holidays to Dubai increased by ten per cent.
These figures are welcomed by the United Arab Emirate which is seeing significant growth in the tourism industry and was recently voted the “Middle East’s Leading Destination” at the World Travel Awards 2011 Middle East Ceremony.
The first quarter of this year saw 186,478 Indian tourists take luxury holidays in Dubai hotels, compared to 169,084 visitors during the same period in 2010.
The rise in visitor arrivals from India is thought to have been helped by an increase in income. The UN World Tourism Organisation is expecting the number of Indian residents that take holidays abroad to increase to 50 million annually by 2020.
Statistics for travellers from the United Kingdom taking Dubai holidays has stayed at the same level due to ongoing economic problems, and as a result Dubai tourism authorities have resorted to looking towards new emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia and China.
Emirates Airlines will be launching flights to Dubai from St Petersburg in November this year, due to the rising number of Russian tourists visiting Dubai’s beachfront hotels during the winter months.
The airline has also launched new flights to Buenos Aires in Argentina and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, following the success of Emirates’ recent service from Sao Paulo to Dubai.
Dubai is also seeing an increase in Chinese visitors as they arrive to stay at luxury hotels such as the Armani Hotel, first hotel designed by Giorgio Armani; which is located in the world’s tallest building at the Burj Khalifa tower.
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and a popular destination for luxury holidays and business travel. Popular attractions include the Dubai Mall, one of the largest shopping centres in the world; the Jumeirah Mosque; the iconic Burj Khalifa building; the Dubai Fountain; Palm Islands; the Wild Wadi Park; and the Dubai Marina which is home to some of the world’s most impressive vessels and super-sized yachts, as well as an array of fine gourmet restaurants, deluxe hotels and shops.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning views of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
The location on the world famous Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai shopping malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade- Dine-around Half Board in over 60 Restaurants and Lounges
- Complimentary UNLIMITED access to Wild Wadi Water Park including shuttle transfer
Treat your family to an unforgettable adventure at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel
- Kids & Teens Stay and Eat Free
- Complimentary unlimited access to Aquaventure Waterpark & The Lost Chambers Aquarium
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm and enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine. One of the most...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is an exclusive and...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...