Falmouth Pier Brings over 50,000 cruisers to Jamaica holidays in April 2011
The newly-opened Falmouth cruise ship pier welcomed 50,700 tourists who took Jamaica holidays in the month of April alone, leading to a 41 per cent increase in the total number of cruise passengers arriving that month through all four of Jamaica's ports.
The opening of the cruise ship pier in Falmouth has led to a significant increase in tourists taking Jamaica holidays in April this year.
According to figures from the Jamaica Tourist Board and the Port Authority of Jamaica, 50,700 cruise passengers arrived to their holidays in Jamaica during the month of April, generating US$4.4 million to the Caribbean island’s economy.
The opening of the brand new pier also contributed to a 41 per cent increase in April’s total number of cruise passengers arriving at Jamaica’s four ports; Port Antonio, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Falmouth.
The Falmouth pier opened in February this year and during its first three months nearly 100,000 tourists arrived on their cruise holidays to Jamaica, along with 34,650 crew members and passengers’ spending generating approximately US$8.7 million.
The first cruise liner was welcomed to Falmouth on 17th February 2011 and the pier officially opened to tourists arriving aboard cruise ships in March. Construction continues at the pier and once completed, the marine facility will have a terminal building which will accommodate port security, immigration control and customs; restaurants and shops; a transportation centre; Jamaica hotels; and several onsite attractions and cultural features.
The port currently features modern high-tech facilities and the capacity for at least two mega ships, which allows different cruise liners to bring their passengers to their Jamaica stopovers at the same time.
The Port Authority of Jamaica invested US$167 million into the development of the Falmouth Pier, along with US$102 million from the Royal Caribbean Cruise Limited (RCCL).
Until recently, Ocho Rios held the record for the most cruise arrivals in Jamaica but the latest figures have put the new Falmouth pier in the lead. Despite this, the Port Authority of Jamaica is keen to maintain the competiveness between the piers.
"To further capitalise on developments in the cruise industry and maintain a secured position in this area, plans are also in place to upgrade the Ocho Rios cruise ship pier," stated the Jamaica Public Bodies 2011-12 Report.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Limited has promised to bring eight million cruise ship passengers to Jamaica holidays over the next ten years. The cruise company will be docking an Oasis-class ship in Falmouth Pier until at least 2013, bringing 6,000 passengers and 2,000 crew members to the idyllic Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa offers a dream holiday
- Save upto 32% on all room types
- 2 Kids 14 years and under stay free*
- All Inclusive Resort with a selection of options
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Discounts of up to 30% off all room types included plus One Child stays free per paying adult
- Leave your daily stresses behind and relax with the magical spa services
- A wide selection of restaurants with an international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to Jamaican delicacies
Let time stand still at Jamaica' award winning resort where each morning, you awake to the sounds and scents of wild and pristine nature.
- New on Property Personal Sunset Concierge to help personalize your stay and ensure it is stress-free
- Incredible Savings of upto 45% plus enjoy complimentary access to the Club Mo Bay Lounge while waiting for your transfer
- Good selection of beverages and cocktails at any of the 3 bars and swim-up bar
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- Endless daytime activities such as snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & many more
- The adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited-Luxury® including 24-hour room service
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights....
The Hilton Rose Hall is a five-star establishment in this area that sits strategically between the beautiful Blue...
Your relaxing stay at the adults only Sunset at the Palms starts with a complimentary fast-track service through Montego...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled one mile away from the town of Negril, The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to a multitude of...
If you're looking for a beautiful, elegant and exotic venue to celebrate a wedding, enjoy a honeymoon, or simply spend...