Sustainable Fish-friendly Costa Rica holidays at Hilton hotels
Hilton Worldwide signed an agreement this week with the Costa Rican Federation of Fishing Tourism in a bid to elminate marlin and sailfish from their hotel menus. This move will benefit both sportfishing tourism and the wider Costa Rica holidays market.
Showing their commitment and concern over big game catch and unsustainable fishing practices in the region, the Hilton Worldwide hotel chain has liaised with the Costa Rican Federation of Fishing Tourism (FECOPT) to permanently eliminate marlin and sailfish from hotel restaurant menus.
This eco-friendly move by the Hilton brand is another step forward to allow the giant hotelier to better fit in, in a country praised for its natural riches and for their ongoing conservation efforts. It’s a well-known fact that those who take Costa Rica holidays do so for the country’s wealth of nature preserves, rainforests and state-of-the-art eco-friendly hotels that use renewable resources in their installations and for the maintenance of their facilities.
As such, and having such a strong presence in the Costa Rica holidays market, the Hilton brand didn’t want to be left behind or go unnoticed for not showing their commitment to preserve the environment. Thus gaining a new reputation for eco-friendliness, Hilton Hoels in Costa Rica has new badge of sustainability to show off.
Hilton Worldwide has various hotels in Costa Rica at different resorts including Puntarenas, Liberia, Papagayo and San José.
The agreement, signed by Hilton Hotels this week, in conjunction with the FECOPT, is an effort to promote awareness about the vulnerability of marlin and sailfish species in the country, as these are crucial to the country’s sport-fishing tourism industry, in which fish are caught using the tag and release method and thus returning them live to the water. Sportfishing currently accounts for as much as 27 per cent of total tourism income in Costa Rica.
With this new move, Hilton becomes the first hotel chain in Costa Rica to take the step as part of the hotelier programme for Social and Environmental Responsibility.
The decision not to serve these two types of fish aims to both protect a vulnerable species that is crucial to Costa Rican sportfishing tourism while keeping consumers safe from products that may be high in mercury content, according to a statement released by FECOPT.
As it turns out, also during this week, supermarket chain Auto Mercado announced it would remove from its shelves sailfish, marlin, shark and corvineta. In an explanatory note, spokesman for Auto Mercado revealed that the store had decided to remove corvineta after lab tests revealed high levels of mercury and other toxins found in the fish.
Enrique Ramírez, FECOPT Executive Director praised the move. Another one to follow suit with the praises was Ricardo Rodríguez, general manager of Hilton’s DoubleTree Resort in the Pacific port of Puntarenas, who promised similar measures in the future to promote sustainable tourism, better and improved eco-friendly holidays in Costa Rica and a more responsible use of resources.
Previous studies have shown that sailfish and marlin are more valuable alive as a benefit to the marine ecosystem and the sportfishing, and the estimated value of a live marlin or sailfish is about $3,000, while their value is only $125 each when sold as food. According to FECOPT sportfishing in Costa Rica generates some 63,000 jobs and $78 million in tax revenue, so its practice is extremely beneficial for both the tourism industry and the wider economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Complimentary shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool Access
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...