Costa Rica registers a 7.8 increase in holiday makers
The Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT) has unveiled that more than 685,000 tourists took Costa Rica holidays during the first quarter of 2011, with a 7.8 per cent increase in international visitors during the first three months compared to 2010.
The Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT) recently announced that the number of travellers who took Costa Rica holidays during the first quarter of 2011 reached over 685,000.
The results announced by the Costa Rica Tourism Board were released by the Immigration Department of Costa Rica, showing that the first three months of 2011 saw a 7.8 per cent increase with 49,000 more international tourists taking holidays in Costa Rica than during the same period in 2010.
The Minister of Tourism, Allan Flores, said in a written statement: “This has been a great way to kick off the year. We surpassed the world average, which according to the World Tourism Organization, was five percent in the first few months of 2011.”
Thousands of travellers from all over the globe go on holidays to Costa Rica every year thanks to the country's famous reputation for eco holidays and fun adventures. The Latin American country boasts some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery comprising lush rainforests volcanoes, mountains, pristine beaches and waterfalls.
While visiting Costa Rica, tourists can enjoy adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding. The beautiful country boasts hundreds of eco friendly Costa Rica hotels and resorts nestled within picturesque and natural surroundings.
One of Costa Rica's busiest airports, the Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia, recorded a 26.9 per cent increase in tourists arriving and departing to and from Costa Rica holidays within the first three months of this year.
According to data from the Directorate General of Immigration (DGME), there were 42 flights a week in Costa Rica in January 2011, 14 per cent more than the same month in 2010, and February saw a further increase of 25 per cent.
The majority of travellers taking holidays to Costa Rica originate from the United States with 54.2 per cent of tourists arriving by air and over 252,000 Americans visiting the country during the first quarter of 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- See the natural wonders of Costa Rica
- Sky Walk Arenal’s Hanging Bridges
- Includes Sarapiqui River Rafting class
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...