Costa Rica registers a 7.8 increase in holiday makers
The Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT) has unveiled that more than 685,000 tourists took Costa Rica holidays during the first quarter of 2011, with a 7.8 per cent increase in international visitors during the first three months compared to 2010.
The Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT) recently announced that the number of travellers who took Costa Rica holidays during the first quarter of 2011 reached over 685,000.
The results announced by the Costa Rica Tourism Board were released by the Immigration Department of Costa Rica, showing that the first three months of 2011 saw a 7.8 per cent increase with 49,000 more international tourists taking holidays in Costa Rica than during the same period in 2010.
The Minister of Tourism, Allan Flores, said in a written statement: “This has been a great way to kick off the year. We surpassed the world average, which according to the World Tourism Organization, was five percent in the first few months of 2011.”
Thousands of travellers from all over the globe go on holidays to Costa Rica every year thanks to the country's famous reputation for eco holidays and fun adventures. The Latin American country boasts some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery comprising lush rainforests volcanoes, mountains, pristine beaches and waterfalls.
While visiting Costa Rica, tourists can enjoy adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding. The beautiful country boasts hundreds of eco friendly Costa Rica hotels and resorts nestled within picturesque and natural surroundings.
One of Costa Rica's busiest airports, the Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia, recorded a 26.9 per cent increase in tourists arriving and departing to and from Costa Rica holidays within the first three months of this year.
According to data from the Directorate General of Immigration (DGME), there were 42 flights a week in Costa Rica in January 2011, 14 per cent more than the same month in 2010, and February saw a further increase of 25 per cent.
The majority of travellers taking holidays to Costa Rica originate from the United States with 54.2 per cent of tourists arriving by air and over 252,000 Americans visiting the country during the first quarter of 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Explore the city in historica Havana before a woderful All Inclusive beach stay in Costa Rica
- This twin centre offers the perfect twin centre of history in Havana with nature and great beaches in Costa Rica
- NH Capri has an amazing pool on the roof offers breath-taking views over the capital and glistening sea
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...