Cuba, third largest Caribbean holiday destination
The recent influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays has led to the island becoming the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean, with 30 million visitors over the last decade, according to Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero has announced that Cuba has become the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean with the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays increasing each year.
The Tourism Minister spoke at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair (FIT) Cuba 2011 saying that over the last decade, the Caribbean island had seen over 30 million international tourists take holidays to Cuba.
In 2010, more than 2.5 million tourists took holidays in Cuba, which was a 4.2 per cent increase from 2009. The majority of tourists who go on Cuba holidays each year originate from Canada, United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, and Russia.
During his speech Marrero said that visitor arrivals would be much higher if American citizens were not restricted from Cuba travel due to the decades-long embargo.
Earlier this year, President of the United States, Barrack Obama, eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American tourists who were taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Restrictions have also been relaxed for Cuban-American who wish to return to their home country more regularly.
Cuba is expecting nearly three million international tourists to come to the island on holidays by the end of 2011 and this target looks possible as traveller numbers have already increased for the first quarter of 2011 when compared to the figures from the same period in 2010.
Many charter flights and ferry companies have begun operating services to provide transport services for Cuba holidays for travellers from the U.S.
The Caribbean island boasts beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites and a tropical climate. The communist island nation is famous for its culture, food, music, dancing and diverse scenery including beautiful beaches, the azure warm ocean waters of the Caribbean Sea, breathtaking mountain ranges and virgin cays.
The island is home to a range of Cuba hotels, from luxury all inclusive resorts, to B&Bs, guest houses, Casa Particulares, and historic city hotels; travellers have an ample choice when deciding where to stay according to their needs, budgets and interests.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for an adventure-filled break
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...