Award-Winning Dubai International Airport Sees Growth in Passenger Traffic
After winning the prestigious title of "Middle East's Leading Airport 2011" at the World Travel Awards, Dubai International Airport has also recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays in April 2011.
Just Recently Dubai International Airport recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays and business trips in April 2011 with passenger numbers reaching 4.23 million. During the same month last year, the airport served 3.74 million passengers and officials say that this drop in traffic was due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland last year.
The airport was named the “Middle East’s Leading Airport 2011” at the World Travel Awards for the second consecutive year and in 2009 it was named “World’s Leading Airport”.
To date, 16.5 million travellers have arrived and departed to and from their holidays to Dubai this year; an 8.5 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2010.
CEO of Dubai Airports, Paul Griffiths, said: “We have surpassed the four million passenger mark three out of the first four months of the year and that trend is set to continue.”
This year’s figures recorded a 20.1 per cent in passengers from Western Europe taking Dubai holidays, and Dubai International Airport handled 179,397 tonnes of international air freight during April; up 5.6 per cent from the 169,902 tonnes recorded during the same month last year.
Griffiths added: “Our busiest summer ever is just around the corner and we will be working hard to maintain high service levels and ensure the comfort of our customers. That includes the activation of our Summer Mission programme which deploys additional customer service personnel to help passengers pass quickly and smoothly through our airport.”
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and an international business hub. The city is home to a wide collection of upscale Dubai hotels and is a popular destination for luxury holidays.
During holidays to Dubai, tourists can enjoy shopping in over 70 shopping malls and numerous traditional souks; discover the city’s unique architecture including the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, which stands at 828 metres tall and is shaped like a ship’s sail; visit the beautiful beaches; or head out of the city for a desert safari or dune bashing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Unwind at the beautiful beaches of Khao Lak before experiencing the best of Dubai
- 500m from Nang Thong Beach in Khao Lak
- Outdoor living in Khao Lak with open-air dining and three swimming pools
- Experience exquisite luxury in Dubai
Capture the wonders of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Dubai's only rooftop revolving restaurant
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani family
- Explore the city palace in Jaipur
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
The perfect twin centre combination of Mauritius & Dubai
- With amazing facilities and stunning views Dubai, what better base to explore this amazing city
- Stunning and peaceful resort on the east coast of Mauritius, boasting bright, fresh and contemporary designs
- Enjoy all watersports including windsurfing, canoes, pedal boats and much more at Solana in Mauritius
Savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm and enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine. One of the most...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is an exclusive and...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...