Mexico tourism board launches campaign to counter negative travel alerts
Travellers planning holidays in Cancun and Mexico are being urged to ignore travel alerts which portray the region as a dangerous country as Mexico launches an ad campaign to restore its image within the tourist industry in the United States.
This week Mexico launched a vital ad campaign which officials hope will help restore the country's image and reputation within the tourist industry after recent travel alerts in the United States warned travellers to stay away from the country.
Rodolfo Lopez-Negrete, Mexico Tourism Board CEO, said: "Those travel alerts that were headlining 'If you want to stay alive, don't travel to Mexico,' we felt they were not only totally inaccurate but irresponsible."
Mexico is putting millions of dollars into its ad campaign to spend on billboards and print media ads in the United States, showing images of its beautiful pristine beaches and ancient pyramids to entice travellers to book Mexico and Cancun holidays.
Despite many American tourists being scared away from booking holidays in Mexico because of the drug wars in some parts of the country, Lopez-Negrete said that their visitor figures were similar to those of 2008. He explained that revenues were down but this was due to many Mexico and Cancun hotels offering significant discounts to encourage wavering tourists.
"We were able to drive volume upwards at a cost of lower pricing but we are happy with that because as in any other business, volume comes back first, then you start escalating to the proper pricing," he said. "That's the strategy."
The country's drug violence is happening far away from the tourist areas such as Cancun, Huatulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos and Lopez-Negrete is urging U.S authorities to be more specific and accurate in their alerts. Over the Easter period, a U.S. State Department advisory urged U.S travellers to avoid all but essential travel to ten states in Mexico including its capital city, due to "ongoing violence and persistent security concerns."
Tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and the Riviera Maya can relax within the luxury Caribbean holiday resorts including global hotel chains such as InterContinental Hotel Group, Sol Melia, Hilton Hotels, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and AMResorts.
"The appetite continues to be there, because investors know tourism has always been very profitable in Mexico and the quality and value is second to none," Lopez-Negrete added. "There is confidence in initiatives President Calderon has taken."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Book now and save for travel between May - October 2019 and enjoy an upgrade to a Junior Suite Pool View
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. At Allegro Playacar...
Enjoy the many amazing facilities of the all-inclusive Iberostar Paraiso del Mar resort and delight yourself with the...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury at Oasis Cancun Lite, surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting. Your...