Salsa Dancing Draws European and American Tourists to Cuba holidays
Cuban nightclubs are seeing an increase in foreign travellers coming to bust their moves on the dance floor during Cuba holidays as salsa dancing becomes the latest trend for Asian and European tourists from Germany, Switzerland and Japan.
Travellers from Europe and Asia are hitting the dance floors of Cuban nightclubs during Cuba holidays in an attempt to show off their salsa dancing moves.
Salsa is native to Cuba but the dance style has become increasingly popular throughout countries across the world and European and Asian travellers are enjoying it so much they are heading to holidays in Cuba to show off their new moves at local nightclubs.
Known for their hip-swivelling moves, Cubans pride themselves on their salsa dancing but more foreigners are taking an interest in the energetic dance style and sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between the locals and the tourists.
At Las Canitas nightclub in Havana on a recent Saturday night, a young woman shouts over the blaring music: "See, look at him. He needs to move his hips more."
She was referring to an individual with a group of tourists from Switzerland but some of the tourists’ dance moves surprised her.
"Wow, he's got tremendous feeling," she said pointing out another dancer as he spun his dance partner around in circles. "He could definitely be Cuban."
The recent increase in interest for salsa dancing has enabled Cuban dance instructor, Marisuri Garcia, to open a dance school in Switzerland, where she lives part of the year.
During the rest of the year Marisuri lives in central Havana and after obtaining a licence from the government, she now offers private lessons charging approximately $5 per hour.
"Dancing helps you live better," Marisuri said. "It helps you to look inside and open up, to be free in mind and body."
Many tour operators are offering salsa dancing lessons as part of Cuba holidays packages, with tuition at state-run dance studios like SprachCaffe. The packages include accommodation at Cuba hotels, dance classes with individual instructors and some meals. Prices for these packages start from $1,300.
Because of the US –Cuba travel restrictions, there are very few Americans who can enjoy holidays in Cuba but as the restrictions are gradually eased, there is hope for the future as more American tourists plan cultural Cuba holidays.
Garcia hopes that dancing the salsa will help people to overcome political differences on the dance floor.
"We've got Swiss and Germans dancing salsa like Cubans, she added. “It's time to see more Americans!"
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...