Cuba Encourages Russian Tourists to Take Cuba Holidays
The Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, has announced that the island will be diversifying its tourism offer to encourage more travellers from Russia to book their Cuba holidays throughout the year.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism is looking to establish future contracts to provide more flights to the Caribbean island from Russia which will lead to an increase of tourists taking Cuba holidays all year round.
Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, said: “Until March 10, the Cuban tourism industry grew by 14 per cent compared to the same period last year, although those are preliminary figures.
“For its part, in 2010 Russia registered an increase of 68.7 per cent compared to 2009.”
Lopez Reyes added that the Ministry of Tourism would like to create new contacts for future contracts which could help increase the number of Russian travellers taking holidays to Cuba during the summer and winter months.
“We now have direct flights to Varadero and we are working to achieve others to places like Santa Maria, Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo for the end of 2011,” she explained.
“To us it means the possibility of expanding Russian destinations in Cuba because Varadero is a well-known tourist destination, but it becomes saturated, especially in winter”, she noted.
The Ministry of Tourism is keen to promote Cuba as a holiday destination for travellers who like to experience the local culture during their holidays in Cuba, as well as enjoying the history, heritage and local attractions.
“Cuba is not only a sun and beach destination, because we have tourist attractions like our culture, history and attractive cities in addition to the nautical recreation,” Lopez Reyes added.
The Vice-Minister headed the Cuba delegation to the 6th International Tourist Fair of Russia, Inturmarket last week which was attended by representatives of Cuba hotels such as Sol Melia, Gaviota, Iberostar, Gran Caribe, Barceló, Occidental Miramar and Cubanacan.
Cuba is likely to see a significant increase in tourists this year as U.S President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel in January for American travellers visiting the island for cultural, educational, religious and academic purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...