Cuba Holidays Experience Boom with New Record for January
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during January this year reached record numbers with an increase of 15.9 per cent compared to the same period last year, indicating that that despite the global economy crisis Cuba tourism continues to boom.
Cuba saw a record number of visitors during January 2011 with 296,000 international tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays; a 15.9 per cent increase compared to the same time last year.
The National Office of Statistics issued a press release which stated that Cuba had registered record numbers with 40,610 more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba compared to January 2010.
The rise in travellers taking Cuba holidays has set the Caribbean island’s tourism industry off to a good start to the year as officials are confident that Cuba will reach its target of 2.7 million visitors by the end of this year.
By the close of 2010, Cuba hotels and resorts had accommodated 2.5 million travellers who visited the beautiful Caribbean island, a figure which was up by 4.2 per cent on the previous year.
The growth in Cuba’s tourism is one of the main goals for officials and the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor numbers after the recent easing of restrictions for U.S citizens.
Earlier this year, President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on the U.S-Cuba travel embargo allowing Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons. This will allow schools, churches and cultural groups to take holidays to Cuba and learn more about the Caribbean communist country.
Last year, Obama also eased restrictions on U.S-Cuban travellers returning to Cuba to visit family and friends, which has also had a positive impact on the tourism industry.
The new rules could put Cuba at the top of the list for Caribbean holidays as more U.S travellers are keen to explore the beautiful island after decades of the strict travel embargo.
American airports in Florida including Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West and Las Vegas have all applied to handle new charter flights to Cuba and a new web page has been launched by one of America’s largest tourism companies, AmericanTours International LLC (ATI), which provides information for American travellers planning Cuba holidays.
Cuba hotels are preparing for the expected influx of visitors which could lead to between one and three million additional American tourists per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...