Cultural Cuba holidays with Havana's 20th International Book Fair 2011
The 20th Cuba International Book Fair provided plenty of cultural activities for travellers enjoying cultural Cuba holidays last week as Havana came alive with literature, music, and thousands of local Cubans who attended the event.
Thousands of tourists on Cuba holidays and local Cuban residents attended the first stage of the 20th International Book Fair in Havana last week which concluded on Sunday 20th February.
The event was attended by over 60 national Cuban exhibitors including publishers and regional cultural centres who had strong ties with or are run by the government.
Approximately 30 foreign publishers attended the literary event including companies financed by nations including Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia who were honoured at this year’s event.
At the closing ceremony at San Carlos de la Cabaña fortress on Sunday, President of the Cuban Book Institute, Suleica Romay, said that over 700,000 copies of books had been sold during the event.
The 11-day festival took place across various venues throughout the city including the ALBA Centre, the Casa de las Americas, Pavilion Cuba, the San Carlos de la Cabana colonial fortress, the Centre for (Jose) Marti Studies, the Jose Marti Cultural Society, the Jose Marti Memorial and the National Library.
This year’s theme was dedicated to the cultures of the ALBA-member countries, enabling local residents and travellers on holidays in Cuba to gain an insight into the people of Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador and Nicaragua.
Unlike the more elitist events which take place across America and Europe, the International Book Fair in Havana is a simpler event which offers local Cubans and those enjoying Cuba holidays the chance to experience other cultures through books and their authors.
Organiser of the annual event, Edel Morales, explained: "This fair is oriented toward the reader ... as a chance to acquire books and have a dialogue with the authors, both Cubans and foreigners.
"It is a notable difference to others in the world where people rarely attend. Here it is the people who make the fair."
The venues offered a range of book genres from social sciences, art, literature and biographies, to Cuba travel and guide books about foreign destinations.
Nadira Reyes, a 30-year-old teacher who was searching for colourful books for her young son said: "I come every year. It is good to walk through and get books that are not always available."
Yadriana Torres was looking for books on beauty and massage to aid her studies.
"The problem is that they are expensive, because the most interesting in my field are sold in foreign currency," she said. One book that she was after cost 25 convertible pesos ($27) - more than the average monthly salary for Cubans.
Holidaymakers who missed the Havana event will be able to catch up with the book festival during their holidays to Cuba as it begins a two-week tour of the country's provinces starting this week in Pinar del Rio, Isle of Youth, Matanzas and Sancti Spiritus.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...