Reopening of Tourist Sites Indicates Egypt holidays are Back on Track
Tourist booking Egypt holidays will be welcome once again be able to explore the country's exquisite and historical sites as the Minister of Antiquities announces plans to reopen Egypt'[s most famous attractions following the recent political riots.
Egypt’s newly-appointed Minister of Antiquities has announced plans to reopen the country’s famous historical tourist sites, following closure during the country’s political riots.
Tourists enjoying Egypt holidays will be able to visit the attractions and which Egypt is so famously known for and officials are optimistic that the tourism sector is back on the road to recovery.
Dr Zahi Hawass, the Minister of Antiquities who was appointed under the former president’s regime, said in a recent statement that “all of the Pharaonic, Coptic, Islamic and modern sites” will open again to visitors, in the hopes that “tourists from around the world will soon return to Egypt”.
Egypt came to a standstill for 18 days as a hundreds of thousands of protestors from all backgrounds took to the streets of cities across the country demanding the overthrow of President Mubarak. After more than two weeks of violent clashes, numerous deaths, defied curfews and disruption to the country, President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from his position.
During the riots, many of historical tourist attractions were closed down for security measures because officials were concerned about damage and theft.
Members of the ministry and the Antiquities and Tourism Police recently made a decision to reopen the sites to visitors which included the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and Valley of the Kings. Travel along the Suez Canal was fortunately not affected by the political situation and continues to operate normally.
Many Egypt resorts in Luxor came to a standstill as travellers were warned to stay away from the country during these disruptive times. Egypt hotels throughout the main cities have suffered throughout the duration of the protests as flight curfews were enforced and many tourists were forced to postpone or cancel their Egypt holidays.
Despite the political unrest in the country, the reopening of Egypt’s famous sites is indicating a positive turnaround for the tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Relax on the sandy beach or join in the various activities on offer at his fantastic hotel
- AMC Royal Hotel is set on the sandy beach of the Red Sea in-between Hurghada and El Gouna
- They have various activities on offer at the hotel including a daily animation programme, non motorised water sports and nightly entertainment
- There is various food options available especially at dinner with a buffet nightly themed restaurant, Italian buffet restaurant and a Oriental themed restaurant
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Sail the mighty River Nile, see the world's largest open air museum in Luxor and Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza in Cairo, the treasures of bygone days
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck of the Swiss Inn Radamis II
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Mercure Le Sphinx
- Discover the World's largest open air museum in Luxor whilst staying at the Karnak Temple
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...