Barbados holidays ranked in Top Ten Ethical Travel Destinations
The Ethical Traveler magazine has released its annual list of the best ethical destination in the world, listing Barbados holidays in the top ten hotspots for the first time along with Dominica, Latvia, Costa Rica, Palau and Uruguay.
Just very recently Barbados holidays have been ranked among the top ten ethical destinations in the world for the first time after Ethical Traveler magazine releases its annual list.
The list ranked Argentina, Chile, Poland and Lithuania among the top ten once again for the second year in a row and new destinations including Costa Rica, Dominica, Palau, Latvia and Uruguay made it to the top ten for the first time.
Ethical Traveler magazine concentrates its content on providing travellers with information on how they can travel to destinations across the world without having an impact on the environment. The annual list is released to help inspire travellers to visit new countries which make efforts to balance environmental issues with sustainable tourism.
The list was established after the magazine conducted a study which researched developing nations across the globe and focused on Environmental Protection, Social Welfare and Human Rights.
This year saw six new destinations added to the list encouraging travellers to book Dominica, Latvia, Uruguay, Palau, Costa Rica and Barbados holidays.
Travellers can enjoy a wide range of activities during Costa Rica holidays as the Central American country is one of the greenest countries in the world. Home to thriving rainforests, jungles, pristine beaches, lakes, volcanoes, numerous national parks, and protected areas, Costa Rica offers excellent sport options such as surfing, hiking, abseiling, scuba diving, and ocean fishing.
The Caribbean island of Barbados received the ranking as it makes efforts to provide "greener" Barbados hotels and for being open to changing existing practices.
The Ethical Traveler said:
"Dominica was the recipient of a Green Globe for sustainable ecotourism. We also applaud Barbados for organizing the Caribbean Green Economic Conference for 2011, to discuss opportunities and challenges to developing a green economy in the region."
The editorial recognised that both Caribbean countries were not without faults.
"In Barbados and Dominica, homosexuality remains criminalized. Normally this is a deal-breaker for us, but the laws do not appear to be zealously enforced. We sincerely hope that our vote of confidence will persuade these country's leaders to repeal these backward laws.
"By visiting the countries mentioned here, we 'vote with our wings' sending a signal that travelers are aware of where their money is going, and willing to support nations that care about the environment, human rights, and the global community."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- Summer Sale on - with savings of upto 15% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- September Sale with up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Sample an assortment of fun activities for a relaxing holiday to remember at Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels
- Incredible Savings of up to 50% off all rooms
- Enjoy a complimentary Chef's Dinner and a Daily Hour of complimentary drinks at the Sunset Cocktail hour included in your stay
- Boutique art-focused hotel with thirty-five spacious suites
Sugar Bay Barbados is perfect for discovering Bajan Paradise in an All Inclusive Resort
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- September Sale now on with savings of upto 40% PLUS $20 Spa Credit per person
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...