Sri Lanka reaches target of 600,000 visitors for 2010
The Sri Lanka Tourist Board has revealed that the island nation has reached its target of 600,000 visitors enjoying Sri Lanka holidays this year, with the 600,000 arrival receiving a grand welcome at Colombo's Bandaranaike airport on 14th December.
The number of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays has now reached 600,000 according to the Sri Lanka Tourism Board. The tourism board announced that the island's target was reached when the 600,000th visitor arrived at Colombo's Bandaranaike Airport at 15.40 on 14th December 2010.
Sri Lanka Tourism officials welcomed the British traveller who had arrived on his holidays in Sri Lanka and the chairman, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa presented the lucky arrival with a six-night holiday package which included Sri Lanka hotels and tours to a number of historic sites on the island.
Dr. Godahewa said: "This marks a significant moment in the history of tourism. Sri Lanka is now on the world map as a unique, safe destination."
He also praised the country's president, Mahinda Rajapaksa for his efforts in bringing the 30-year-long civil war to an end last year, which resulted in a 46 percent increase in travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka this year.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Board is now hoping to reach its target of 700,000 visitors to the island nation in 2011. Sri Lanka is situated in South Asia and surrounded by the sparkling Indian Ocean. The island features an array of nature parks, wildlife reserves, mountains, rainforests, and miles of pristine unspoiled beaches.
Travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays can hike through the national parks which includes Yala National Park in the southeast of the island where they can enjoy sightings of wild deer, elephants and peacocks, or the Wilpattu National Park in the northwest which is home to an abundance of flora, fauna and water birds including ibis, storks, and pelicans.
The island is also home to a number of historical monuments and sites including ancient temples, statues and traditional villages.
The coastline features stretches of white sand beaches which are fringed with forests and offer a tranquil spot for weddings abroad, romantic honeymoons or relaxing Indian Ocean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Visit many of Sri Lanka's key attractions before ending with a relaxing beach break
- Immerse yourself in Sri Lankan culture on a visit to a native village with catamaran ride and traditional bullock cart trip
- Explore the iconic Sigiriya Rock Fortress, home to the spectacular 'Lion Rock', a citadel of unusual beauty rising 200m from the scrub jungle
- Admire all of Kandy's main sights on a tour around the area which includes a visit to the sacred 'Temple of the Tooth'
- Relax with a beach break on the sandy shores of Beruwala at the end of your Sri Lankan adventure
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...