Big increase in number of U.S. travellers taking Cuba holidays in 2010
Over 1000 travellers from the United States are enjoying Cuba holidays every day since President, Barack Obama lifted the ban on Cuban-Americans visiting their families and homes and loosened restrictions on travel for professionals and academics.
The number of U.S travellers taking Cuba holidays has significantly increased this year, with 1000 travellers visiting the Caribbean region every day, thanks to the loosened restrictions of a 50 year embargo.
In 2009 President Barack Obama lifted restrictions on Cuba-Americans visiting their families and homes and travellers who were visiting the region for cultural, academic, religious and other professional reasons.
A U.S trade embargo has been in place for nearly fifty years which forbids travellers from the United States from visiting the region or taking holidays in Cuba. Though the restrictions were loosened last year by the President’s administration, a full decision on lifting the ban completely has yet to be passed by U.S Congress, and looks unlikely to change anytime in the near future.
Charter companies from the United States believe that the increase in travellers, most of who are of Cuban origin, has been down to the lifted restrictions.
President of Marazul Charters, Armando Garcia, said: "There is a huge increase this year compared with 2009. Through October around 265,000 have travelled. November and December are the peak months, so we expect 330,000 will go to Cuba on direct flights from the United States this year."
Because there are no regular scheduled flights to Cuba from the United States, despite being just an hour apart form each other, many of the travellers have been arriving on their Cuba holidays or official travel via Mexico and the Bahamas in attempts to get around the travel ban and because it is a more affordable route.
A source from the U.S State Department said: "We estimate the total (visitors from the U.S. to Cuba) for the year will be more than 400,000."
Reports show that the number of travellers visiting Cuba in 2009 was 2.4 million, with the largest number of tourists arriving from Canada, followed by Great Britain and Spain.
Havana Airport receives flights from the U.S and the expansions to the airport terminal are expected to be completed by Christmas allowing double capacity.
Many local businesses are welcoming the boost in tourist arrivals, particularly Cuba hotels that are benefiting from the increase in demand for guests rooms.
Protestors and supports of the travel embargo are optimistic that the Obama’s administration will loosen remaining restrictions in place, opening up the gateway for sports, cultural, artistic, music and religious events.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...