Caribbean tourism grows as region sees increase in visitor arrivals
The aftermath of the recent global recession seems to be heading in the right direction for many Caribbean islands as consumers from the United States are once again booking their Caribbean holidays giving the tourist destinations a welcome tourism boost.
As travellers once again book their Caribbean holidays, the recovery from the global economic recession seems to be underway as many destinations are now on a growth track.
According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, the number of US and European travellers taking Caribbean holidays was up by 6.5 percent during the first four months of this year.
Many travellers booking Caribbean holidays chose Jamaica as their tropical destination with visitor arrivals up by 7.3 percent from January to April 2010; the Dominican Republic saw a 2.5 percent increase and 2.2 million tourists arrive between January and June; and the Bahamas with a 1.6 percent rise in visitors.
The second most popular destination for Caribbean holidays, Cuba, saw 1.22 million tourists arrive on the island between January and May this year, which was a 1.2 percent increase on last year.
Despite the welcomed boost in tourism numbers to some islands, many others saw a decline in visitor arrivals. These include Bermuda which saw a 10.5 percent dip between January and March 2010, Curacao with a 9.4 percent fall from January to May, and the Mexican region of Cancun which saw a decline of 2.3 percent between January and April.
The origin of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has had a significant affect on visitor numbers with a decline in arrivals from European tourists. This had a ripple affect on the Eastern Caribbean as the area depends heavily on visitors from Europe, compared to northern Caribbean islands which are closely situated to the USA.
Director of Research at the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Winfield Griffith, said: "Travellers are proceeding with a great deal of caution when it comes to spending because of the global economic crisis. From what I can glean, I would say spending is down about 5 percent.''
During the economic downturn last year, many Caribbean hotels, airlines, and travel companies cut their prices and offered numerous promotions and discounts to entice travellers to book Caribbean holidays, which meant that profits were low. But as the economy shows signs of recovery, so do the islands of the Caribbean as consumers once again start slowly spending.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay in the perfect base for a wonderful holiday, while being on the beach and close to the nightlife and golf courses
- Room upgrade from Junior to Master Suite
- Exclusive access to the VIP Lounge
- 24-hour room service included
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...