Government to lease out 12 islands to investors for new Sri Lanka hotels
The government of Sri Lanka will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across 12 islands in the region to potential investors who are looking to set up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts to keep up with the growing demand of travellers.
Sri Lanka's government has agreed to lease out 12 islands in the Kalpitiya area of Western Sri Lanka to investors who are interested in setting up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts.
There has been a significant increase in tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays this year and Sri Lanka Tourism is has set a target of 2.5 million foreign visitor arrivals by 2015.
Dr Nalaka Godahewa, Chairman of Sri Lanka Tourism, said: "We need to have around 30,000 more hotel rooms to achieve the target growth. We have achieved a growth of more than 40 per cent in arrival numbers in the first half of the current year and hope to achieve the target of 2.5 million before 2015."
The government will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across the 12 islands which are located near the country's capital, Colombo. The process is expected to commence within a month and the lease period will be for 35 years.
Godahewa explained that Sri Lanka Tourism is identifying more locations in the region to develop tourism including Sri Lanka hotels, marinas, entertainment centres and convention centres.
When asked about investors, he said: "We can think of separate tax holidays for investments amounting to more than USD 500, 000" and that he expects Indian investors to bring between US$300 and $400 million to the island nation.
Godahewa added that land has been identified in the north and east regions of the country for the development of luxury hotels in Sri Lanka with beach and islands resorts.
Sri Lanka is located 31km off the southern coast of India in the Indian Ocean and is made up an array of breathtaking scenery including pristine white sand beaches, lush green rolling hills, and mountainous terrain in the south of the island.
Since the recent end of nearly three decade-long civil war, the island is recovering and tourism is once again growing as travellers flock to the idyllic country and luxury Sri Lanka hotels for tropical holidays, romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quiet with a good choice of amenities and a great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
- All rooms feature a balcony or terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including volleyball, tennis, squash & more
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation in both destinations
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Turyaa Kulutara is located in the idyllic island of Sri Lanka. Beautifully secluded and surrounded by lush vegetation,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
You can enjoy the perfect beach holiday at the all-inclusive Club Dolphin hotel, whether looking for peace and quiet or...