Caribbean holidays bracing for upcoming Hurricane Earl
As Hurricane Earl gains strength and becomes a Category Four tropical depression, Caribbean holidays have been put on watch alerting mainly the Caribbean East Coast and Florida.
Some Caribbean holidays have been put on hold for a number of people scheduled to take off during this week. As a result of the unfavourable meterological conditions in the area, a number of flights have been cancelled and cruise ships diverted as the Caribbean braces itself for Hurricane Earl.
Even when some islands have already been hit by winds of up to 135mph as the hurricane warning has been raised to a Category Four, no major disasters have been reported so far and thus there was no imminent danger to those already enjoying Caribbean holidays there.
By last night, Earl was 100 miles away from the Virgin Islands and metereologists predict it will keep moving north and move away from the tropical zones that could affect Caribbean countries and thus Caribbean holidays.
However before it heads north towards Florida, it could cause some devastating damages in the U.S Virgin Islands. As it gets closer to the U.S Virgin Islands, residents have been forced to take refuge in emergency shelters as it approaches, but there have been no reported casualties.
Caribbean airline LIAT cancelled 41 flights to destinations in the eastern Caribbean and closed its reservation service because of Earl’s approach.
Forecasters warn Earl could cause “catastrophic” damage if it hits land. They predict it is on course for the east coast of America.
Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed large part of New Orleans five years ago, reached Category Five.
“Hurricane conditions are now spreading into the Northern Leeward Islands and will spread westward into the Virgin Islands later today,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its latest statement.
“Earl is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight or early Tuesday,” it added.
The hurricane centre also warned of a storm surge, dangerous waves and heavy rains that could cause flash flooding and mudslides.
Forecasters said Earl could affect the U.S. East Coast later this week.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy luxury with 24-hour all-inclusive service
- Children stay for half price
- Great selection of dining experiences
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...