Great bird-watching Cuba holidays as new populations of birds are found
Lovers of nature will be able to indulge in exotic bird-watching to their heart's content during Cuba holidays as new populations of rare and beautiful bird species are found in the island's wetlands.
Bird lovers and bird-watching enthusiasts will have a new family of birds to explore during Cuba holidays with the discovery of a newly found population of colourful species in the island's wetlands.
As it turns out new populations of the Blue-Headed Quail-Dove and Antillean Palm Swift were found in areas of the Great Wetland of northern Ciego de Avila, one of the major bird shelters in Cuba.
These new findings took place in the Loma de Santa Maria hill, Manga Larga, in the municipality of Bolivia, one of the four parts that make up Ciego de Avila's wetland. And it's here precisely where bird enthusiasts on Cuba holidays should come if they want to make the best of the opportunity to admire their unique beauty, only found in this Caribbean island.
Technician Oscar Ortiz Cedeño with the Flora and Fauna Preservation Enterprise said that once the blue-headed Quail-doves are visually counted, adequate management plans to preserve this threatened dove endemic to Cuba only, will be implemented.
Biologist Alvaro Espinosa Rojas said the Antillean palm swift is studied in captivity in the Loma de Cunagua hill, another important shelter of the province.
This is the first time Antillean palm swifts are seen in the area and 57 nests of the bird have been already counted in this wetland.
Espinosa Rojas explained that this bird is a very efficient biological control agent, however, it is threatened by the maja and birds of pray.
The Great Wetland of the North covers the Loma de Cunagua hill, Cayo Coco Centre-West Ecological Reserve, Venero and Milky Lagoon, which are considered natural labs international recognized for the presence of endemic, rare and threatened species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...