Tourism Ministry working at diversifying Barbados holidays sector
The Barbados Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, spoke to residents this week at a town hall meeting about the importance of encouraging travellers on Barbados holidays to visit sites around the island which are relevant to the former slavery trade.
At a town hall meeting this week Richard Sealy, Barbados' Minister of Tourism, addressed Barbados residents about the importance of encouraging tourists to the island to partake in activities away from the beaches and visit areas which are related to former slavery as take part in community projects.
The new Barbados Slave Route Project, "Freedom Footprints, the Barbados Story", will see sites across the Caribbean island which are related to Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and the slavery experience being visited by visitors on Barbados holidays so that they understand the history of the island.
Mr. Sealy explained: "The days of when someone is going to come to Barbados and simply leave with a tan earned from [being] on the sand and having had a dip in the sea to feel good- those days are over. People are looking for more than that. And, I think, therefore, that it is important that in spite of all of those good things...that we recognise that we are still developing a project that needs to be economically viable, be attractive, appealing and without offending the spirit of those souls that we are building this project on."
Local residents and travellers enjoying holidays in Barbados will visit areas including the Gun Hill Signal Station and Sweet Vale in St. George; the Newton burial ground at Newton Plantation and Bournes Land in Christ Church; and the Cage in Heroes Square.
Mr Sealy described the new venture as a "a wonderful... and a necessary project" and will allow Barbados to offer diversity to tourists on Barbados holidays and will enable them to "to have newer and different experiences ... that don't necessarily offend the environment".
Mr Sealy emphasised the advantages that the project would have on the Caribbean island and explained that it would be inexpensive, intellectually and spiritually uplifting, community-focused and environmentally-friendly.
The project, which is being developed by the Barbados Museum the Historical Society and the Ministry of Tourism, will help boost the island's tourism industry and will benefit Barbados hotels and local businesses as travellers will be exploring different parts of the island away from the popular tourist areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Great Location as a base to discover Barbados
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- September Sale with up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavours at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Save up to 30% off in all room categories
- Plus save an additional £300 per booking with The Club Barbados Flash Sale
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on the West Coast of Barbados
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
Sugar Bay Barbados is perfect for discovering Bajan Paradise in an All Inclusive Resort
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- September Sale now on with savings of upto 40% PLUS $20 Spa Credit per person
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...