Competition between Russian airlines continues over their Caribbean holiday destinations
Russian carriers Transaero and Aeroflot seem to be battling out over who serves the most Caribbean holidays destinations, as one starts servicing the Cuba holidays market in Varadero and the other the Dominican Republic holiday market in Punta Cana.
After the recent inaugural service that Russian Transaero air company started with the launch of the new flights from Moscow to Varadero, which have been taking Russian holidaymakers to Cuba holidays since 30th July, 2010, a new battle seems to have ensued in Russia over who has the most dominant presence in Caribbean holidays market.
The new Transaero flights to Varadero will have a twice weekly frequency and depart from Domodedovo airport. It should be noted that these are the first direct flights from Moscow to Varadero, a first t. According to the experts, that was a sort of response of Transaero to its main competitor – Aeroflot, as Aeroflot was planning to start operating the flights from Moscow to Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, the flights of Transaero to Varadero may be considered as a comeback to Cuban destination. Just to remind, in autumn Aeroflot recalled the permission of Transaero for the flights to Varadero and at the same time increased the number of flights to Havana. However, Transaero remained in the region, having started operation of very successful flights to Cancun, Mexico.
According to the official statistics, 22.9 thousand Russians (+24.9% in comparison with the same period of last year) visited Cuba during the first six months of 2010. Russia took the lead over Argentina in growth rate of the tourist flow this year and appeared on the 2nd place after Mexico (33.2 thousand people, with increase of 29.2%).
This signals a future ongoing battle for who covers more Caribbean holiday destinations, it could be said Transaero already has an edge in pioneering for the Cuba holidays market, which seems to be generating increasing interest among Russian travellers. It is yet to see who will be the Russian king of Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions on offer
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...