Jamaica celebrates success in attracting UK holiday-makers
Recent figures from the Office for National Statistics have revealed that despite the fall in outbound travel for UK travellers between 2008 and 2009, the number of tourists from the UK enjoying Jamaica holidays increased during this period.
The Jamaica Tourist Board is celebrating recent figures released from the Office for National Statistics which showed that despite many UK travellers abandoning overseas holidays between 2008 and 2009, the Caribbean Island saw an increase in UK tourists taking Jamaica holidays.
The figures showed that outbound travel from UK travellers during 2008 and 2009 fell at its sharpest rate since the 1970's because of the effects of the global recession.
Director of Tourism at the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, said:
"This is no mean feat for Jamaica. In 2009, Brits were abandoning overseas holidays at the fastest rate in decades and yet they flocked to Jamaica's shores in increased numbers.
"Even with the whole of Europe on their doorstep, UK holidaymakers recognised the great value, huge variety and quality of tourism product offered in Jamaica. We should all be very proud of this achievement."
Three countries were identified in the report conducted by Travel Trends as seeing an increase in UK visitors; Jamaica, Egypt and Lithuania.
The increase in UK travellers enjoying holidays in Jamaica might have something to do with Jamaica being named as the leading destination in the Caribbean at the World Travel Awards from 2006 to 2009.
The stunning tropical island is located in the Caribbean Sea 90 miles south of Cuba and is made of stunning white powder sand fringed with swaying palm trees; sparking crystal waters; rich vegetation; and a tropical climate.
Jamaica is rich in history and culture and the relaxed and laid-back atmosphere is evident throughout the island and Jamaica hotels and resorts.
Home to the Blue Mountains, the island offers plenty of activities and sights for travellers enjoying Jamaica holidays including the Blue Lagoon in Portland, Dunn's River Falls in St. Ann, and the Kingston Harbour which is one of the largest natural harbours in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship, or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, fun is guaranteed for everyone!
- Surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive resort
- On-site waterpark with a pirate ship
Explore the area and enjoy easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
- Good value Adults only property
- Adults only paradise with a selection of restaurants to try on All Inclusive
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Discounts of up to 30% off all room types included plus One Child stays free per paying adult
- Leave your daily stresses behind and relax with the magical spa services
- A wide selection of restaurants with an international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to Jamaican delicacies
Let time stand still at Jamaica' award winning resort where each morning, you awake to the sounds and scents of wild and pristine nature.
- New on Property Personal Sunset Concierge to help personalize your stay and ensure it is stress-free
- Incredible Savings of upto 45% plus enjoy complimentary access to the Club Mo Bay Lounge while waiting for your transfer
- Good selection of beverages and cocktails at any of the 3 bars and swim-up bar
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights....
*Up to 32% off all rooms and 2 kids stay and play free* *Book by 31st January 2019* The Hilton Rose Hall is a...
Your relaxing stay at the adults only Sunset at the Palms starts with a complimentary fast-track service through Montego...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled one mile away from the town of Negril, The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to a multitude of...
If you're looking for a beautiful, elegant and exotic venue to celebrate a wedding, enjoy a honeymoon, or simply spend...