World Travel Awards unveils winners under Indian Ocean holidays categories
The Maldives, Mauritius and Seychelles have come out on top as the best luxury destinations offering Indian Ocean holidays at this year's World Travel Awards ceremony which was held in Johannesburg, South Africa on Wednesday 7th July 2010.
At this year's World Travel Awards Africa and Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony, Mauritius, Maldives and Seychelles received a number of awards as luxury destinations offering travellers Indian Ocean holidays. The prestigious event was held last Wednesday 7th July and was attended by 1200 of the region's most senior leaders in the travel industry.
Mauritius received the most awards under the Indian Ocean categories and was also named as the leading destination in the Indian Ocean. The region received award for its Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport; Air Mauritius for the leading airline in the Indian Ocean; and a leading hotel which offers luxury Mauritius holidays, Trou Aux Biches, was recognised as the Leading Beach Destination in the Indian Ocean.
A number of Maldives hotels were awarded prestigious titles including Cocoa Island for the Leading Boutique Hotel; Baros Maldives for the Indian Ocean's Leading Hotel; Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for the Indian Ocean's Leading Resort; and W Retreat & Spa for the Indian Ocean's Leading Spa Resort. The Maldives also received an award under a new category for the Indian Ocean's Leading Honeymoon Destination.
The Seychelles received numerous awards for its effort in providing luxury and green Seychelles holidays for travellers. The luxury destination won the award for the Indian Ocean's Leading Green Resort with North Island, Seychelles; Maia, Seychelles for the Indian Oceans' Leading Luxury Resort; and Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove for the Seychelles' Leading Resort.
Government ministers, celebrities and industry professionals attended the event to see leading travel and hospitality companies, who specialise in Africa and Indian Ocean holidays, receive their prestigious awards. Industry professionals voted for the winners using an online voting system.
Founder and President of World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, said:
"Because of their global reach and reputation, World Travel Awards are unique and regularly referred to as the ‘Oscars' of travel and tourism. This means that consumers are increasingly using our portfolio of winners as a reliable and independent guide when booking their vacation.
"Customer care and professionalism of Indian Ocean tourism has come a long way in the years since the World Travel Awards was first started. There have been many challenges and issues to confront, but the Indian Ocean has proved that it more than measures up to the test.
"The region can be justly proud of its achievements, raising the quality bar for the rest of the world and fulfilling customer dreams."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Spend wonderful days exploring India's landmarks with a wealth of spectacular sights to see
- Private escorted tour upgrade from £99pp
- Indulge in a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Explore the legendary Taj Mahal
The perfect twin centre combination of Mauritius & Dubai
- With amazing facilities and stunning views Dubai, what better base to explore this amazing city
- Stunning and peaceful resort on the east coast of Mauritius, boasting bright, fresh and contemporary designs
- Enjoy all watersports including windsurfing, canoes, pedal boats and much more at Solana in Mauritius
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- Easy access to the buzzing capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
Uncover the unique charm of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites on this...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota, a resort located along the popular Bentota...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
You can enjoy the perfect beach holiday at the all-inclusive Club Dolphin hotel, whether looking for peace and quiet or...