World Travel Awards unveils winners under Indian Ocean holidays categories
The Maldives, Mauritius and Seychelles have come out on top as the best luxury destinations offering Indian Ocean holidays at this year's World Travel Awards ceremony which was held in Johannesburg, South Africa on Wednesday 7th July 2010.
At this year's World Travel Awards Africa and Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony, Mauritius, Maldives and Seychelles received a number of awards as luxury destinations offering travellers Indian Ocean holidays. The prestigious event was held last Wednesday 7th July and was attended by 1200 of the region's most senior leaders in the travel industry.
Mauritius received the most awards under the Indian Ocean categories and was also named as the leading destination in the Indian Ocean. The region received award for its Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport; Air Mauritius for the leading airline in the Indian Ocean; and a leading hotel which offers luxury Mauritius holidays, Trou Aux Biches, was recognised as the Leading Beach Destination in the Indian Ocean.
A number of Maldives hotels were awarded prestigious titles including Cocoa Island for the Leading Boutique Hotel; Baros Maldives for the Indian Ocean's Leading Hotel; Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for the Indian Ocean's Leading Resort; and W Retreat & Spa for the Indian Ocean's Leading Spa Resort. The Maldives also received an award under a new category for the Indian Ocean's Leading Honeymoon Destination.
The Seychelles received numerous awards for its effort in providing luxury and green Seychelles holidays for travellers. The luxury destination won the award for the Indian Ocean's Leading Green Resort with North Island, Seychelles; Maia, Seychelles for the Indian Oceans' Leading Luxury Resort; and Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove for the Seychelles' Leading Resort.
Government ministers, celebrities and industry professionals attended the event to see leading travel and hospitality companies, who specialise in Africa and Indian Ocean holidays, receive their prestigious awards. Industry professionals voted for the winners using an online voting system.
Founder and President of World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, said:
"Because of their global reach and reputation, World Travel Awards are unique and regularly referred to as the ‘Oscars' of travel and tourism. This means that consumers are increasingly using our portfolio of winners as a reliable and independent guide when booking their vacation.
"Customer care and professionalism of Indian Ocean tourism has come a long way in the years since the World Travel Awards was first started. There have been many challenges and issues to confront, but the Indian Ocean has proved that it more than measures up to the test.
"The region can be justly proud of its achievements, raising the quality bar for the rest of the world and fulfilling customer dreams."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasting a 750-metre long natural white beach
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a divine selection of restaurants and bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
Try the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from Oriental flavours to Mediterranean delights
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Uncover the unique charm of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites on this...
The Ambre Hotel is an exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in the Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota, a resort located along the popular Bentota...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...