Cuba holidays for the plantation lovers, intactly preserved
Cuba proudly preserves one-of-a-kind coffee plantations from the 19th century, adding much historical and cultural value to holidays in Pinar del Rio, Cuba's most eastern city with a wealth of tobacco and coffee plantations.
For fascinating Cuba holidays exploring the island's wild and historical countryside might give visitors a taste of the country's rich plantation past and present. As testimony of an agricultural culture almost inexistent in other places of the world, the magnificently preserved ruins of Cuba's coffee plantations set by French immigrants in the early 19th century, add great historical value to the beauty of the Rosario Range, in the western territory of Pinar del Rio.
As fugitives running to the island after the events of the Haitian Revolution, the Europeans fostered the growing of coffee in the mountains of the south-eastern region, 31,69 miles from the capital of Havana.
Curious travellers wanting to get a taste of its history during Cuba holidays will be able to do so by staying at the conveniently situated resort nearby as some of these plantations are located close to the Las Terrazas tourist resort.
After several centuries, remains of the coffee plantations are still preserved there, where visitors marvel at the high specialisation level they were designed in. Along with vestiges of the original structure of the fields, these once-magnificent plantations stand as mute witnesses of different agroindustrial techniques and samples of an architecture style similar to that incinerated by the Europeans before leaving Haiti.
Original elements of houses, plantations, trails, coffee pulping machines and dryers can be found hrere, since it is an ongoing concern and effort for specialists to preserve that part of the Antillean history, which in this case rises among clouds in an amazingly beautiful space.
In this amazing region Cuba holidays are nothing short of awe-inspiring; the Buena Vista plantation rises some 787,40 feet over the sea level with road access to its location and stands as one of the best panoramic viewpoints of the Cuban west.
It is worth stressing that the prosperity achieved by the French encouraged those plantations in the mountains of Pinar del Rio, where some 60 estates of the time have been identified belonging to rich Cubans, Spanish and English.
The experts prioritise the study and restoration process, while make reference to other signs of French influence in constructions of Pinar del Rio city, as well as the tradition of gardening and the good taste for the fine arts.
In addition to the coffee plantations located in the Biosphere Reserve of the Rosario Range, those on Cuba holidays still hungry for more platation-style journeys have plenty of exploring to do in other areas as the country accounts with other 191 plantations created by the immigration flow in the provinces of Santiago de Cuba and Guantanamo, the latter with 32 estates recognised as the sixth Cuban point registered by the UNESCO as World Heritage Site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...