Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical wave moves over the Caribbean
Still being closely observed and monitored the latest tropical wave to be hovering over the Caribbean still poses no significant danger other than cloudy skies and the occasional shower but there's a chance it could evolve into a tropical depression.
Bringing only minimal disruption to Cuba holidyas and Caribbean holidays in general; a tropical wave that has been hovering over the western Caribbean Sea continues to bring showers and storms to parts of Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, the Cayman Islands and adjacent waters of the western Caribbean.
There appears to be a bit more low level circulation, but most of the rain is still on the eastern side of this system.
The conditions over the next few days will be conducive for development of this system. Upper level winds will be light and there is plenty of warm water ahead in this system's path.
This tropical wave will continue to move west-northwestward around 10 mph for the next couple of days.
Meteorological experts say that the wave could become a tropical storm by Friday or Saturday.
All weather models project the system will cross Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula over the next few days. After that, most forecasts still expect the wave to turn northwest and hit the coast near the Texas-Mexico border.
But some models now expect the wave to turn northeast toward Florida and the eastern Gulf of Mexico close to where BP Plc is trying to clean up its massive oil spill.
The NHC projected the wave, centered between the eastern tip of Honduras and Jamaica, has a high or 60 percent chance of developing over the next day or so, up from 40 percent in a forecast earlier on Thursday.
Specifically, NHC said "upper-level winds are gradually becoming more conducive for development and the system could become a tropical depression before it reaches the Yucatan peninsula in a couple of days."
"The high pressure system that has been sending us the easterly winds will also help to protect us from this system, keeping it west of the Florida."
There is about a 40% chance of this system becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 hours. Further development is expected in the coming days.
The exact path through the Gulf of Mexico is still the big question on many people's minds. It all depends on the strength of the high pressure system.
If that high stays strong, the storm could continue more westward toward the Bay of Campeche.
If the high is a little weaker the storm could go toward the northern Gulf coast. Anywhere in between those locations is a possibility.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable
- Kids and Teens Stay Free
- Exclusive Room Upgrade
- Up to $2,500 Resort Credit
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...