CARICOM Hosts Media Clinic to Discuss Future of Caribbean Holidays Ahead of Heads Meeting in Jamaica Next Month
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Montego Bay next month to discuss the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean tourism and travel sector, climate change and Haiti, according to the Secretary General.
Speaking at a media clinic last Tuesday held by the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr Edwin Carrington. Secretary General of CARICOM said that the Heads of Government will be meeting next month to discuss climates change, the global economy, Haiti, and future of the Caribbean travel and tourism sector.
Carrington said at the media clinic held at the University of the West Indies’ Distant Education Centre in Mona: "Many may not remember that it was in Montego Bay in 1947, that a number of prominent figures of the then British Caribbean colonies gathered to discuss closer association, laying the groundwork for regional togetherness and bringing us to where we are today - a single market aiming to become a single economy,"
The Thirty First Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from 4 – 7 July 2010 at the Rose Hall resort and Spa.
The Prime Minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, is expected to take over the chairmanship of CARICOM at this year’s meeting and topics and discussions on the agenda include regional trade, the rebuilding process of Haiti, and opportunities to help boost tourism numbers and encourage more travellers to take Caribbean holidays.
The meeting is also an opportunity for the CARICOM Heads to prepare for the meeting on Climate Change which is scheduled for November 2011.
"It is timely, therefore, that as a community we look at where we are in this contemporary world, and seek means to confront the challenges and seize the opportunities to guide us towards a viable, prosperous and secure Community for all, especially our Youth," Carrington concluded.
The number of travellers booking holidays in the Caribbean has steadily been rising after the global recession as travellers’ consumer habits change. However, due to the recent gun-fire attacks in Jamaica, the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays is declining as many flights are avoiding landing after dark and travellers are concerned about travelling through Kingston suburbs to get to their resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy luxury with 24-hour all-inclusive service
- Children stay for half price
- Great selection of dining experiences
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
Enjoy a holiday filled with sun and sand at Be Live Collection Punta Cana. To give you a teaser, expect plenty of...
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...