Tourists enjoying Barbados holidays increases by 27 percent
Despite turbulent economic times in the travel industry recently, the number of travellers enjoying Barbados holidays is continuing to increase by more than 26 percent as the islands offers festivals, sporting events and direct flights for visitors.
At this week's annual celebrations of Caribbean Week in New York, the increase in U.S travellers taking Barbados holidays was a topic of discussion as the island implements initiatives to attract more visitors the island during the recent challenging economic times in the travel sector.
Richard Sealy, the Minister of Tourism for Barbados, said:
"We have taken many steps to increase the accessibility and lure of our island nation, and are proud to report rising numbers of U.S. visitors this year, a market extremely important to us."
"Through strategic programs appealing to a wide variety of travellers, coupled with our increased direct airlift, we have successfully proven that we, as a destination, have so much more to share than just sun, sea, and sand, and have made it easier than ever to get to Barbados. Our island has so much to offer, and we look forward to continuing to welcome U.S. visitors to our shores and keep them returning with our warm Barbadian hospitality."
The rise in tourists enjoying holidays in Barbados has been helped along by a number of new initiatives launched by tourism officials to the island by introducing more sporting events and festivals including the ICC World Twenty/20 Cricket 2010; the Sentebale Charity Polo Event with royal guests, Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho; the Barbados Jazz Festival with performances from Smokey Robinson; the 11th Annual Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) Sustainable Tourism Conference; and the Food & Wine Rum festival which is scheduled for November this year and will feature culinary experts, Marcus Samuelsson and Tom Colicchio.
Direct flights to the islands are bringing more US travellers straight to their Barbados holidays and many airlines are increasing their Caribbean flight services. American Airlines provide direct flights to Barbados from Miami and New York; JetBlue from JFK, New York; Delta flights from Atlanta; and new flights from US Airways scheduled to start this autumn from Charlotte.
The increase in visitors booking Barbados holidays will be welcomed by local businesses and workers as well as Barbados hotels and resorts. Barbados hotels, resorts and local business will all benefit from the 26.6 percent increase in U.S travellers this year – an impressive 10,018 more visitors in comparison to the same time last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Great Location as a base to discover Barbados
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- September Sale with up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavours at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Save up to 30% off in all room categories
- Plus save an additional £300 per booking with The Club Barbados Flash Sale
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on the West Coast of Barbados
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...