Leading Travel Agents and Officials call on new government to reform Travel Taxes
Travel agents and travel brands are urging the new coalition government to scrap the proposed increase in Air Passenger Duty and instead make changes to the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence.
Leading travel agents, tour operators and industry officials spoke at a recent Association of British Travel Agents' (ABTA) conference and urged the new appointed government to scrap the APD rises which are due to be effective from later this year and concentrate their efforts on improving the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence (ATOL) which protects consumers.
The new coalition Conservative-Liberal Democrat government announced that they intend to scrap individual Air Passenger Duty and introduce a per-plan tax instead but travel agents and consumers are worried that these plans will not be put in place before the APD increases are due in November this year.
A controversial banding system is currently in place which bases APD on capital cities. For example from November, a family of four enjoying Barbados holidays will pay £600 in APD for premium flights to the Caribbean island, but the APD would be considerably lower if the family were flying to further afield destinations such as Hawaii.
Dermot Blastland, the Managing Director of TUI Travel UK, is urging the government to look at the impact the rising taxes will have on an already fragile market and dismissed reports that APD is a considered a green tax.
"APD doesn't encourage environmentally-sensible behaviour, as there is no incentive to get rid of inefficient aircraft. Travel is a very price-sensitive market, not at all a well-heeled, easy-to-tax area," Blastland said.
With ongoing disruption caused by strikes from British Airways and the volcanic ash cloud recently closing British airspace, the UK travel market is experiencing turbulent times as well as recovering from the aftermath of the global recession.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer said:
"We face unprecedented upheaval on many levels: customers are less confident than they were before the volcanic ash cloud, we have civil unrest in some of our core destinations, and there are the BA strikes. What we need are fair taxes that don't suppress demand."
Last month ABTA carried out a campaign aimed at urging UK travellers to book their breaks with their travel agents and members to ensure that they are covered in the wake of the volcanic ash crisis.
The campaign's strap line for a series of regional print adverts read: "When it comes to having a great holiday, don't leave anything to chance."
It is hoped that the outcome of this will lead to more travellers booking ATOL protected holidays where consumers can enjoy stress-free breaks during these turbulent times.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...