Increase expected in US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays as travel restrictions lifted
The number of US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays looks set to increase in the near future as travel restrictions are lifted on US citizens by Washington, while citing the region has a peaceful atmosphere a year after the end of the civil war.
The US State Department announced last week that it was lifting restrictions on travel to Sri Lanka for US citizens after naming the region as a peaceful place to travel to one year on after the end of the country's civil war. The State Department announced:
"The Travel Warning issued for Sri Lanka on November 19, 2009 has been cancelled, effective May 26, 2010. Department of State has cancelled the Travel Warning for Sri Lanka due to improvements in safety and security conditions throughout the country."
The lifting of the ban is expected to see an increase in the number of US travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future which will provide the region with a welcomed boost in tourism numbers.
Sri Lanka's Tourism Promotion Bureau has stated that tourism increased significantly within months of the island's 25 year long civil war ending. According to statistics, the number of tourist taking holidays in Sri Lanka rose 47 percent to 38,000 in April 2010 compared to the same period the previous year with an increase in visitors from Western Europe and South Asia.
Sri Lanka's Ambassador to the U.S, Jaliya Wickramasuriya, spoke of the announcement from Washington and said: "We have been working with the State Department for some time to lift this warning, and I am heartened that it has occurred during Minister Peiris' Washington visit."
The US State Department announced concluded: "The Government of Sri Lanka declared victory over the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on May 18, 2009. Since the war's declared end, the LTTE has not mounted any attacks in Colombo or elsewhere in Sri Lanka."
With the New York Times listing Sri Lanka as the number one destination to visit in 2010, the number of travellers from the US booking luxury and adventure Sri Lanka holidays is set to increase as the island offers miles of unspoilt white sandy beaches, lush forests, historical sites, mountainous terrain and a warm climate.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
- All rooms feature a balcony or terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including volleyball, tennis, squash & more
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Turyaa Kulutara is located in the idyllic island of Sri Lanka. Beautifully secluded and surrounded by lush vegetation,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
You can enjoy the perfect beach holiday at the all-inclusive Club Dolphin hotel, whether looking for peace and quiet or...