Cuba holidays enjoying the most successful period
Cuba holidays are currently experienced an unprecedented boost in popularity as the island registers the 4 most successful consecutive months in the history of Cuba travel since the country starting working in generating tourism from abroad.
The holiday industry in Cuba seems to be enjoying a good momentum as the popularity of Cuba has been steadily rising since the beginning of 2010, with the number of tourist arrivals having increased for the first quarter of year. The amount of worldwide travellers taking Cuba holidays has grown to unprecedented margins as the island government reports the most successful 4 months in the history of Cuba travel since the island started promoting tourism as an important source of income for the country.
Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero reported that more than 1.05 million foreigners had come on Cuba holidays as of the end of April, signalling the most-successful four-month span since Cuba began promoting large-scale tourism from abroad.
Addressing a large group of tourism officials attending Cuba's annual FITCUBA 2010 tourism fair, which is being held this week at the Morro Castle in Havana, a Spanish fort built in centuries ago, that guards the sea entrance to Havana, Marrero also said Cuba may exceed the 2.5 million target of foreign visitors arriving in the country in 2010.
"We began with January and February really bad - bad because of the financial crisis, because of many factors," Marrero told his audience. "But March and April have been very good."
Last year, Cuban tourism rose 3.5%, with more than 2.4 million tourists visiting the island, mostly from Europe and Canada, despite the global recession (also largely due to the competitive prices Cuba holidays offered in comparison to other Caribbean holiday destinations).
According to Marrero, 50% more Cuban-Americans visited early this year than during the same period last year, but offered no statistics regarding this segment of the Cuba holiday market. He added that Cuba currently has 50,000 hotel rooms nationwide, many in establishments jointly operated by the government and private companies in Europe.
Marrero also said that in order to generate further growth in Cuba holidays, the government has approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts. He said the government has green-lighted "real estate for tourist purposes."
Investment firms in Canada and Europe have proposed building golf courses coupled with luxury housing under long-term leases with Cuba's government.The decision would allow Cuba's "entrance into new segments and the realization of investments in areas with tourism potential that have yet to be exploited," Marrero added on a final note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Nacional De Cuba hotel is considered a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity
- Iberostar Laguna Azul offers 15 bars and restaurants, and worldwide cuisines
- Enjoy watersports including windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, paddleboats, and snorkelling
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...