Cuba holidays attracting the Russian market with Soviet nostalgia
Cuban authorities are playing off the 'nostalgia' card in order to attract the Russian market to Cuba holidays. Based on the strong ties these two countries once shared during the Soviet years, Cuba aims to create a unique holiday destination for them.
The island is already expecting to attract some 45,000 Russian tourists coming on Cuba holidays this year, as officials said during a release published on Monday. And now it seems that the way to be targeting those Russian visitors is by offering them with a unique ‘air of nostalgia’, a feeling many Russians have been left with from the Caribbean island's long-running alliance with the former Soviet superpower.
With the number of Russians taking Cuba holidays having soared 22 % so far this year, (when compared against 2009 figures during the same period) Commercial Director of Cuba’s Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe said last week that Russia has been gradually becoming an important target market as a source of visitors to the country and the idea is to develop joint projects to strenghten this Russia-Cuba travel trend. Bisbe added that for this purpose the 30th International Tourism Fair taking place this week in Havana would be devoted to the Russian tourists in order to raise awareness about the great assets Cuba holidays can offer to Russian visitors. Among these assets, Cuban tourist authorities will be playing the ‘nostalgia’ card with the regards to the two countries’ strong ties during the Soviet years. This ‘nostalgic’ representation of Cuba holidays was displayed to Russian travel specialists attending the fair. Bisbe also said the economic crisis had caused a drop in visitors last year.
Alexander Radkov, vice president of the Russian Federal Tourism Agency, is attending the FITCUBA 2010 fair, an event that takes place annually to highlight the Caribbean island's wealth of beautiful white sand beaches and tropical sun. Mr Radkov who says that beaches and sun were one of the main factors prompting Russians to take Cuba holidays, came along with dozens of Russian business representatives to expand ties with Cuban authorities in the travel sector.
According to officials Havana's secret weapon for Russian tourists is ‘nostalgia’, as Cuba holidays have a deeper meaning for Russian travellers, playing off a 30-year relationship between the countries due to a once strong political and economic alliance between them. Despite relations having deteriorated following the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991 ties have been growing back over the last five years.
Russia will be attending the FITCUBA 2010 with a delegation of some 30 businessmen and officials with organisers of the event having announced the participation of tourism operators, travel agencies, airlines and specialised press from many countries.
The Cuba holidays industry is the country’s second largest economic sector after medical services, with the island having a total of of 47,000 rooms available in 300 tourist Cuba hotels around the island.
Running this week from 3th – 8th May, 2010, FITCUBA is the single most important even in Cuba’s travel and tourism industry. Its main objective is the promotion of Cuba holidays as top Caribbean holiday destination.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Start your Cuban experience at the Nh Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...