Egypt Tourism Officials aim to recruit new generation of skilled workers
Egypt tourism officials are hoping to encourage local teenagers to take up the tourism trade in an effort to prevent the region from suffering from the looming skilled labour shortage within industries which cater for travellers on Egypt holidays.
Egypt hotels in particular, are short of local skilled workers who can provide services and expertise in areas which are vital in order to successfully operate and provide adequate service for travellers on holidays in Egypt. The SOS Children’s Village on the outskirts of Nasr City is home to 80 orphaned youths up to the age of 18 years old and is undergoing refurbishments courtesy of the Ministry of Tourism and other tourism officials, The Egyptian Tourism Federation, The Egyptian Hotel Association and The Egyptian Travel Agents Association.
Children’s homes run by the International Children’s Charity in Alexandria and Tanta are also undergoing refurbishments this year as part of a social initiative by the tourism officials as they try to encourage teenagers to gain skills which can be used within the travel and tourism industry.
As the number of travellers taking Egypt holidays increases, the number of skilled labourers in the hospitality industry will have to double in the next decade in order to keep up with the demands of the growing tourism sector.
Ahmed El-Nahas, chairman of the Egyptian Tourism Federation, said:
“There is a huge [ongoing] expansion of hotels in Egypt, but there are very few schools or universities that graduate people in the tourism industry, unfortunately. If you double the number of hotels and there are still very few graduates, we have a problem.”
One reason for the lack of skilled workers available is that many students and graduates do not see the hospitality sector as particularly glamorous long hours and low pay.
Maged Hosny, a youth employment activist, said:
“There is an educational problem in Egypt where the popular and prestigious faculties don’t match the real demands of the labor market. “[Students] don’t know what they’re going to learn and what they will do afterwards and there is no counseling for graduates to explain career paths in each field and what kind of training they need.”
Many of the hotels which offer more luxury Egypt holidays for their guests provide dedicated in-house training for their staff while some of the lower rated hotels do not have the opportunities to employ skilled hospitality workers and the hotel standards and services are lower because of this.
Egypt tourism officials are hoping that by encouraging the teenagers from these villages, the number of skilled workers will rise in time for the potential existence of 3,200 large hotels and resorts in the country by 2015.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
A wonderful and exclusive beach retreat; El Gouna bustles with artists, environmentalists and sports enthusiasts who enjoy the perfect location between mountains and sea.
- Boasting an array of facilities including four swimming pools, championship golf course and much more
- Fully wheelchair accessible and environmentally friendly
- Located directly on the Red Sea with 2 Kilometres of private beach
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....