Costa Rica holidays in search of more European tourists
While Costa Rica's Camara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) said each year more and more European travellers make Costa Rica their holiday destination the National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe
Even when the number of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays increases every year, this central American country’s tourist board doesn’t think that the figures are high enough and considers that more could be done to entice more European travellers to take Costa Rica holidays.
According to the Cámara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur) more people from the "Viejo Continente" (Old Continent, as Europe is referred to in Latin America) are curious and eager to discover the country they hear so much about, and yet it seems not all are acting upon their wishes and embarking on enriching holidays to Costa Rica This is why the Costa Rica’s National Tourism authority says the country still needs a lot more tourists from Europe.
Canatur (Costa Rica’s Camara Nacional de Turismo) reported that in 2009, the country received a total of 187.486 European tourists who took Costa Rica holidays, the majority of which came from Spain. The country now wants to further spread its appeal beyond Europe’s only hispanic country and extend its allure to neigbouring nations such as France, Germany, Italy and the UK.
And for that purpose Costa Rican tourism officials are attending the Feria Internacional de Turismo (Fitur) that is currently taking place in Madrid, Spain, this week.
The objective for 2010 is to make a significante increase on the 2009 numbers of European travellers taking Costa Rica holidays and to make sure this aim is met at least 32 Costa Rican tourism operators are attending the Fitur.
For Costa Rica, Europe is a very promising emergenging market for touristm and an increase in European travellers taking holidays in Costa Rica would positively decrease Costa Rica's high dependence on American tourists that now make up the bulk of the almost 2 million annual visitors to Costa Rica.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot to learn about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- See the natural wonders of Costa Rica
- Sky Walk Arenal’s Hanging Bridges
- Includes Sarapiqui River Rafting class
This holiday offers a fantastic base to explore Costa Rica, or relax in splendid surroundings
- Enjoy long summer days on a secluded beach or discover the rich natural ecology of the area
- Those looking for an active holiday can try horse riding, kayaking, windsurfing, hiking and mountain biking
- Ultimate Savings and upgrades for Summer 2019 when booking before 31st January
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all its gems on this in-depth tour with a fabulous beach stay at the end
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
With shimmering white beaches and lush tropical jungle, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica is the perfect getaway for the...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your eyes to new experiences as you venture to Costa Rica for a...
With a good choice of amenities and perfect location, Occidental Tamarindo is a brilliant holiday choice for families...