Barbados Tourism Authority in talks with Popstars and Sports Stars
A number of international celebrities and sports stars might be working alongside the Barbados Tourism Authority in an attempt to attract more travellers to take Barbados holidays this year and help boost the region's tourism and travel sector.
International popstar and Barbados born, Rihanna, and the legendary soul singer Hal Linton are said to be talking to the Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, about potential performances in Barbados this year. The number of visitors taking flights to Barbados declined by 8.7 per cent during 2009 and the number of tourists taking Barbados holidays during the year fell in total by eight per cent.
Now the Barbados government and Barbados Tourism Authority are implementing a wide-range marketing and promotion programme in a bid to reverse the losses from 2009 and encourage more travellers to take Barbados holidays.
Officials from the tourism industry in Barbados said that tourist spending, including stays in Barbados hotels, was down by a staggering $100 million last year compared to 2008 and the number of long-stay visitors to the region fell by nearly 40,000.
The new marketing programme has been put in place to improve old markets and target tourists from all over the world to take holidays in Barbados with the help of new sports, culture and music events taking place on the stunning island.
After a visit from tennis star Serena Williams in 2009, this year could see an appearance from sister, Venus Williams, and other tennis aces at the Tennis Pon De Rock.
With the International Cricket Council's Twenty20 cricket series in May, the world's female boxing championships in September and a number of other music and culture events taking place in 2010, Barbados looks set for a busy year and will provide visitors on Barbados holidays with superstar entertainment as well as stunning scenery, warm temperatures and friendly welcoming locals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Great Location as a base to discover Barbados
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- Summer Sale on - with savings of upto 15% for travel up until 2019
Sample an assortment of fun activities for a relaxing holiday to remember at Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels
- Incredible Savings of up to 50% off all rooms
- Enjoy a complimentary Chef's Dinner and a Daily Hour of complimentary drinks at the Sunset Cocktail hour included in your stay
- Boutique art-focused hotel with thirty-five spacious suites
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island at Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, as the elegant eco-friendly...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...