Cuba holidays hit record number of visitors in 2009
Cuba's National Office of Statistics registered a new record number of foreign visitors to Cuba in 2009 with the new figure marking a 3.5% increase when compared against 2008 which held the previous record.
During last year Cuba holidays closed with a historic new record of foreign visitors marking a 3.5% increase of tourists’ arrivals when compared against 2008 figures, which was also a record-hitting year where the previous record was set.
According to Cuba’s National Office of Statistics, a total of 2,429,809 tourists visited the Caribbean nation taking Cuba holidays in 2009 when Canada consolidated its position as the island’s main tourist market and number one visitor, followed by the UK, Spain, Italy and Germany.
In spite of this increase, however it must be noted that revenues decreased by 11% when compared against the previous year due to the global economic crisis and its aftermaths which resulted in an 8% drop in the flow of travellers.
Taleb Rifai, General Secretary of the World Tourism Organization, said that this situation, which was further aggravated by the impact of the H1N1 A virus pandemic which turned 2009 into one of the most difficult years for the hospitality and travel sector, causing.
In 2010, Cuba hopes to consolidate its position as a unique and complete tourist multi- holiday destination thanks to its natural, cultural and historic richness, and the safety it offers to visitors for relaxing and vibrant Cuba holidays filled with sun and cultural experiences.
Cuba’s leading role in the world tourist market has been confirmed by recent surveys. Lonely Planet -- the world largest publisher of travel guides – and concierge.com, a portal specialising in tourism, for example, both ranked Cuba holidays as sixth and seventh, respectively, in the list of favourite worldwide holiday destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...