Fall in number of visitors taking Egypt holidays in 2009
Recent figures have shown that fewer travellers took Egypt holidays in the months up to November this year than in 2008 but there was a significant increase in travellers visiting the historic country during the month of November itself.
The amount of revenue generated by travellers taking Egypt holidays in the first 11 months of 2009 fell 3.1 percent compared to the same period last year but tourism officials were expecting a much higher number.
This was thanks to the amount of visitors from Europe taking holidays in Egypt in the months leading up to November, and though tourism officials were disappointed by the overall decrease in revenue, they were relieved that it was not as bad as they had originally foreseen.
Egypt relies on tourism revenue for its economy, particularly as the industry provides foreign currency and a large number of jobs within Egypt hotels and resorts, diving excursions, and tours of the country's historical sites and attractions. Sharm El Sheikh holidays are becoming increasingly popular with tourists mainly due to the area's fantastic diving and snorkelling spots.
During the months up to November this year, approximately 11.45 million visitors took Egypt holidays according to the spokeswoman of Tourism Ministry, Omayma El Husseini, which was down 3.4 percent on the visitor numbers from 2008.
She said: "The figure is a negative figure at the end of the day," she told Reuters. "But we're at almost 11.5 million tourists now, which I think is very good."
Husseini added that November saw 1.23 million visitors taking Egypt holidays this year, which was a 7.3 percent increase from November 2008. This was due to the increase in visitors from the UK, Russia and Germany.
An analyst from EFG Hermes, Daniyah Darwish, said:
"Tourism in Egypt proved to be more resilient than expected. Tourists are staying for shorter periods and spending less ... but they are still coming."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Cruise on the world's longest river with 7000 years of history while enjoying 21st century comfort on the cruise liner featuring superb amenities.
- Enjoy nightly entertainment at the Lounge with its resident DJ, drinks and dancing.
- The Cruise allows you to discover the stunning sights and attractions of the River Nile in comfort.
- The hotel ship offers a comprehensive program of sightseeing which is accompanied by an expert guide.
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonders, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Radamis II Nile Cruise
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....