Americans want the right to travel to Cuba freely
American citizens are hoping that the policy banning United States citizens travelling to Cuba for reasons other than Cuba holidays, business, and limited trips, will be lifted after the proposal is brought to Congress for discussion.
ENCASA (Emergency Network of Cuban American Scholars and Artists) is also in support of the proposed changes to the United States – Cuba policy which if successful will allow more U.S citizens to travel to Cuba freely, rather than just on occasional Cuba holidays.
A number of academics who make up ENCASA were brought to the United States by their families because it was known as the land of freedom and human rights. Without the freedom to travel to Cuba, many believe that their basic human rights are being taken away.
The proposal has been brought to Congress and is largely supported by United States citizens as well as Cuban citizens.
Two influential members of Congress recently told a U.S newspaper:
"U.S. law lets American citizens travel to any country on earth, friend or foe - with one exception: Cuba. It's time for us to scrap this anachronistic ban, imposed during one of the chilliest periods of the Cold War."
The policy was enforced in 1963 and since then many U.S citizens have only been able to visit family and friends for limited periods on Cuba holidays. The results of this dated policy have also prevented Cubans and American citizens from having direct contact and which has led to a lack of sharing of important values and cultural relations.
If the ban was to be lifted, the Caribbean region would most likely see a significant increase in travellers from the U.S taking holidays in Cuba and local business would benefit from the tourism boost, in particular Cuba hotels, attractions, restaurants, and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana, staying in the residence of the 'stars', with a relaxing beach holiday in Cuba's world famous resort, Varadero
- Discover history and culture in Havana
- 15 restaurants and bars in Varadero
- Enjoy cabartes and live music
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...