Cuba Holidays Celebrate Havana's 490th Birthday with Locomotives Exhibition
Four exceptionally well preserved locomotives which are each over 100-years-old are being showcased in Havana to celebrate the city's birthday along with other 23 of them of which 6 will be exhibited in a park and one will give tour trips along the port
For the delight of many culture-hungry tourists on Cuba holidays and to celebrate Havana’s 490 years as a city full of history and old age glamour, old treasures are being dug out and restored to be showcased at various points in the capital.
A unique selection of locomotive relics that have been well preserved over the years as priceless time pieces are being exhibited on a unique outdoor museum to commemorate Havana being the first city in Latin America to have this transportation system.
Opening today, 17th November 2009 on the especially designated outdoor park section of a new museum that will also inaugurated today as part of the celebrations of the founding of Havana as a city, the unique collection is set to attract engineering lovers and many curious street wanderers on Cuba holidays. The careful preservation work and transportation of the locomotives from all around the country to Havana has been carried out by the Monument Restoration Enterprise that belongs to the City’s Historian Office (OHC) an office in charge of looking after the capital’s care and restoration projects to improve the appeal of Havana holidays.
Eloy Bueno, the work’s supervisor, told ACN that this new restoration investment for old locomotives and the creation of its own unique museum in Havana is part of the efforts to preserve the patrimonial values of railways in Cuba, the first Latin American country to officially start using this modern mode of transportation, that was the latest in technology at the time.
Bueno went on to add that this unique exhibition showcases 4 unique steam locomotives that are over-100-years-old, including the 1878 Baldwin locomotive that shows its original number 1112, which was used on the making of the movie on Cuban National Hero Jose Marti, by Fernando Perez.
For insightful Cuba holidays into the world of locomotion this will be a great exhibit not to miss with one of the old locomotives going back to life and offering tours along the Port Avenue.
Architect Yaniset Castillo pointed out that after the reorganisation of the sugar industry in Cuba a couple of years ago, the OHC located and organised over 40 steam locomotives around the country in order to preserve them and show them in museums. And the time has finally come for a new museum to exhibit them much to the delight of many history lovers and culture-thirsty visitors on Cuba holidays.
At the moment 23 of them have been brought to Havana, out of which 6 will be exhibited in this park while one will give tour trips on the Port’s Avenue.
On 16th November 2009, Havana holidays celebrated the city’s 490 anniversary with the OHC gathering havanians, visitors on Cuba holidays and local authorities to pay homage to it.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...