Cuba holidays celebrating Havana's 490th Anniversary
To celebrate the capital's birthday as it nears its 5th century of existence, Havana dresses in festive colours as the city prepares a range of events to mark this year's 490th anniversary in full flair
On 16th November 2009 the queen of Cuban cities and the country’s capital of Havana will turn 490 years old. To mark this important event the city will dress in festive colours with a diverse range of cultural activities planned to honour the nearly 5 centuries old Havana and its impeccable reputation of enchanting visitors through the years with its old-age glamour and mystical colonial allure.
Those lucky to be enjoying Cuba holidays in Havana next week will be able to take part in the many public parties and festivals planned when artists inspired by Cuban literature and theatrical characters will liven up the streets of the city’s main historic sites to honour the 490th Anniversary of its foundation.
Starting on the morning of November 16, which marks the anniversary of the renowned Cuban (and particularly Havanian) novel "Cecilia Valdes", the book’s main character "Cecilia" will wander around city squares and parks to make the city’s old history come to life and help onlookers and passers-by reminisce of a bygone era. For the delight of camera-ready tourists on Havana holidays she might stop to strike a pose
Other famous characters that have graced Havana streets throughout time including the peculiar "Caballero de Paris" (The Knight of Paris), slaves and women from the colonial times will also come to live, said Jose Perejil, one of the organisers of the festivities.
For a real authentic Cuban feel during your Cuba holidays in Havana there will also be concerts of "Habaneras", a typical music genre, with the participation of Maria Eugenia Barrios and Barbara Llanes are among the scheduled events. But this is not all there is for music lovers and those wanting to sample the most original and genuine of old Cuban music during their Cuba holidays, as there will also be a jazz concert to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Benny More"s birth.
During the week’s celebrations, the book "La Habana, Ciudad Azul" (Havana, A Blue City) by Cuban writer Julio Rensoli will also be launched.
Artist lovers on Cuba holidays during this week will be able to delight in a special painting exhibition based on erotic poems by Cuban late writer Luis Rogelio Nogueras (1944-1985).
The week-long birthday program entitled “Nobel Havana” will also include a film week dedicated to moviemaker Enrique Pineda Barnet on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of his film "La Bella del Alhambra", (The Beauty of the Alhambra), one of Cuba’s most emblematic and dearly remembered films inspired by Miguel Barnet's novel "Canción de Rachel" (A Song to Rachel)…a true classic for those cinematically curious on Cuba holidays.
And to close the festivities after a week of celebrations, a special gala with characters from theatre works such as "Andoba" and "Santa Camila de la Habana Vieja" will take place.
So if you’re all booked and ready to go to your Cuba holidays in Havana next week, don’t forget to leave your birthday wishes and check out the activities of Nobel Havana, offering visitors the enchantment of Havana’s charming architecture and rich culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from the NH Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its heritage before basking on the pristine shores of Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the azure waters when staying at Melia Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...