St Lucia Holidays to benefit from better skilled staff with new Marine Academy
St Lucia holidays will soon benefit from a new Marine Academy since the country lacks personnel in the cruise industry, and with the introduction of 34 new cruise lines within the next 3-4 years, it's important to acquire skills for the cruise industry
In the hope of ensuring an excellent customer service future in hospitality, St Lucia holidays are to soon benefit from a new Marine Academy, especially created to improve the training standards of their staff.
At the 16th Annual Conference of the Florida Caribbean Cruise taking place all along this week, Tourism Minister Senator Allen Chastanet will be leading discussions on the establishment of a hospitality and marine academy in St Lucia to train young high school graduates as part of what makes St Lucias holidays experiences memorable, especially on the cruise sector, which is currently lacking skilled personnel in the island.
Discussions of this new training project for St Lucia holidays will be held with tourism partners during the investment forum. Senator Chastanet highlighted the lack of trained people in the cruise industry, which accounts for the lowest percentage of Caribbean nationals currently employed in the Caribbean cruises sector.
With the addition of 34 new cruise lines to grace St Lucia holidays within the next three to four years, the Senator says it is important for more people to start acquiring the requisite skills for employment within the St Lucia holidays’ cruise industry.
“We are proposing the establishment of an academy that will take kids out of high school, put them through an 8-9 month certification programme which will be both academic and practical. Thereafter, we would assist those kids to get recruited by the cruise lines. Once those kids go on the cruise ships for 3 to 4 years—that in and of itself will be like attending a university.”
Senator Chastanet added that Saint Lucian nationals needed to embrace and appreciate in a much grander scale the global application, benefits, and importance of tourism-related skills for ensuring St Lucia holidays remain as one of the top Caribbean holiday destinations for cruises.
“The benefit to St. Lucia means that when they are coming back home we have an even a better skilled work force. With the new hotels coming in it is going to be a huge advantage. We are approaching individual companies and also the cruise industry as a group to the possibility of participating in this investment.”
The Tourism Minister concluded by saying that the Government of Saint Lucia is now in the process of signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Monroe College St. Lucia, and MAMPA recruiting Agency, towards the goal of producing properly trained individuals within the cruise sector. So it looks like soon, over the next few years and ready for the coming of the new cruise lines, the island could pose as an attractive, highly trained Caribbean holiday destination for incredible St Lucia holidays cruises.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at the luxurious Bay Gardens Beach Resort
- Book 7 nights and get US$150 Resort Credit per room category per stay
- Two Kids (4-12 years) stay and eat free
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its breathtaking views and its golden sand
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with an adults section and family section complete with St Lucia's only water park
- Includes $1000 resort credit to be used in resort on Spa treatments, upgrades and more
- Extended offer of up to 70% off on all room types when staying plus up to 2 Kids stay and play FREE
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia, taking advantage of a hotel designed for romanceing
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
- Summer Sale now extended and revised with discounted savings for stays until 2019 of up to 52%
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Additional Booking Bonus of up to £325 per booking on top of the 45% savings - please call for more details
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway at Rendezvous you and your loved one have always fantasised about with a stay on the...
Situated in the heart of Gros Islet is the magnificent Bay Gardens Inn, a classy resort set in lush tropical gardens....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings out...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the all-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...