Increase in Dubai holidays expected in fourth quarter of 2009
The 4th quarter of 2009 will see an increase in Dubai holidays as Dubai hotels prepare to receive an expected increase in the number of visitors this winter as Dubai's tourism picks up after a significant decline of arrivals after the global recession
Dubai hotels are set to see an increase in visitors this winter as more travellers are expected to take Dubai holidays and boost the region's tourism and travel sector. Dubai holiday industry was one of the worst affected areas in the world to be hit by the global recession and there was a significant decline in visitors taking holidays in Dubai compared to nearby Abu Dhabi.
With the recession hitting the Middle East later than the rest of the world, numbers began to noticeably fall in the last quarter of 2008. Within the first six months of 2009, Dubai hotel room prices dropped by 26 per cent. The drop in rates has enticed more visitors to take Dubai holidays and benefit from the bargains available. Walter Lo Faro, Director of Market Management for the Middle East for Expedia, said:
"Dubai has seen one of the greatest drop in rates, making it an even more attractive tourist destination, while hotel prices in Abu Dhabi have also fallen significantly. As a result of the economic downturn we have seen a change in the profile of tourists visiting the UAE: Fewer visitors are coming from the UK and Russia, while we are seeing more tourists from Italy and the US."
Neighbouring city, Abu Dhabi, maintained a steady level of visitors over the past 12 months due to it being a business destination but the hotels saw a decrease in numbers in the second quarter as more business travellers were affected by the economic crisis. However, Dubai hotels began to see an increase in numbers during the second quarter of 2009 as more travellers taking Dubai holidays took advantage of the promotions and discounts available which had been put in place to attract more visitors to the vibrant city.
With a current total of 40,943 hotel rooms and 17,204 hotel apartment rooms available in Dubai, the optimistic overview has encouraged businesses and developers to open a further 10,984 rooms in properties across Dubai and Abu Dhabi over the next year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai shopping malls
- FREE Half Board upgrade- Dine-around Half Board in over 60 Restaurants and Lounges
- Complimentary UNLIMITED access to Wild Wadi Water Park including shuttle transfer
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Capture the wonders of India before an amazing chance to visit Dubai
- Dubai's only rooftop revolving restaurant
- Experience a typically Indian meal with a Rajasthani family
- Explore the city palace in Jaipur
The perfect twin centre combination of Mauritius & Dubai
- With amazing facilities and stunning views Dubai, what better base to explore this amazing city
- Stunning and peaceful resort on the east coast of Mauritius, boasting bright, fresh and contemporary designs
- Enjoy all watersports including windsurfing, canoes, pedal boats and much more at Solana in Mauritius
Savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm and enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine. One of the most...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is an exclusive and...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...