Cuban Tourism Ministry keen on developing Green Cuba holidays
Cuba's Tourism Minister has declared that the future of Cuba holidays lies in its Eco-tourism potential and expressed his eagerness on diversifying the Eco-Cuba holiday appeal with a wider range of green tourist options and activities
Amidst dipping tourism revenues that continue to decrease despite the increasing number of visitors to the island, the Cuban government has taken action and decided to discuss the taking of a few measures in order to boost another kind of Cuba holidays, a new kind of Green tourism in the island.
This week Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) gathered the top leaders from their European and Canadian tour operators to discuss the development and creation of more eco-friendly Cuba holidays. The conference was specifically aimed and directed at boosting a segment of the market that at the moment only accounts for 4% of all foreign visits.
Tourism Minister, Alexis Trujillo said: “We will always be a sun and sand destination, but we want to diversify. Eco-tourism is the future."
Expecting a 3% increase in the total arrival of overseas tourists to top last year’s record figure of 2.35 million, Trujillo said that despite the increase in visitors, price cuts necessary to keep demand high amidst the global recession, have meant that overall revenues will now fail to meet the $2.5 billion generated in 2008. Whereas the Cuba holidays appeal has continued to raise sky high, reductions in price have kept the profits margins very low and a green push is thought to help suffering margins recover.
Cuba now wants to appeal to those environmentally conscious holidaymakers, who are often willing to pay premium prices and stay longer than those looking for cheap beach getaways. Eco-tourists can thus boost profits as they focus not only nature – hiking, bird-watching, scuba-diving, biking - but also on the country’s social and cultural charms, whilst at the same trying to make as little negative impact as possible on nature.
"There's enough to see and do that's green. It can get tourists coming and keep them coming," said a U.S.-based tour operator who has visited the island four times -"When the embargo is dropped and there are more U.S. tourists, Eco-tourism could be a boom. But it needs to be managed very carefully."
And Constanze Walsdorf, a saleswoman for Aventura Touirs in Germany reinforces this idea: "There's a lot of interest," she said, "and it's growing." Her company, which offers about 15 environmentally friendly trips to Cuba, said business has remained brisk despite Europe’s moribund economy.
Cuba ranks among the world leaders in low greenhouse-gas emission, the general output of heavy industry is low and the environmental impact reduced, making Cuba holidays very appealing to the potential new market of green tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Lifelong memories await for you in the pristine beaches of Varadero and one of Havana's most iconic hotels
- Indulge in a number of all-inclusive restaurants at Iberostar Tainos, from delicious Japanese cuisine to international fine-dining experiences
- Capture the 1950's swing vibe when staying at Habana Riviera Hotel steeped in history with the lobby bar in particular having a genuine 50's atmosphere
- Why not to upgrade your arrival transfer to an american vintage car for an extra £19 per person
Relax on one of the best beaches in the world and enjoy the endless fun this the All Inclusive iberostar tainos
- Relax and unwind at the onsite spa with a variety of treatments and massages on offer
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling
- Experience the all-inclusive delights with a choice of four restaurants and five bars
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
Start your Cuban experience at the NH Capri Hotel, one of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the...
Your Cuban experience begins at the memories miramar havana, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy...
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...
This enchanting villa hotel is surrounded by exuberant tropical plants and is perfectly located in a high point towering...