Shopping trips and multi-centre holidays in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi is perfectly placed between the UK and the Indian Ocean to provide a break in the journey to a longer distance, more exotic destination. Booking a multi-centre holiday to Abu Dhabi and the Indian Ocean means you'll get more from your time away and experience different cultures and attractions.
Top destinations to combine with Abu Dhabi include the Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius and Sri Lanka - all of which are well known for their outstanding beaches and luxurious hotels. Balance your holiday lounging on a beach in the sun by spending time in the thriving heart of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Abu Dhabi is its capital and boasts a vast array of attractions, from world-class shopping malls and top-quality restaurants to exciting theme parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty.
Why visit Abu Dhabi?
One of the main reasons to stop for a few days or even a week in Abu Dhabi is to break up the journey to more far-flung destinations. There are plenty of direct flights departing the UK for Abu Dhabi each week, with this journey taking approximately seven hours and 45 minutes.
Travelling directly to the likes of the Maldives or Mauritius can take between ten and 12 hours from the UK, depending on the destination you're heading to, which is why it's so attractive to have a break on such a long journey.
A holiday in Abu Dhabi will also give you the opportunity to discover what this fascinating Middle Eastern country has to offer - the contrast between its traditional culture and modern attractions is striking, while the emirate is also renowned for the quality of its shopping and the luxuriousness of its many hotels.
Shopping trips in Abu Dhabi
Shopping is one of Abu Dhabi's biggest attractions, with the emirate home to some of the world's most impressive malls, as well as a range of more traditional souks. The following are just a few of the shopping locations you may want to check out:
- Al Ain Souk - Also known as the Central or Old Souk, this is the place to come for an authentic Emirati shopping experience. You can barter with stallholders over the price of fabrics, spices and fresh fruit, as well as more modern items like electrical goods.
- Marina Mall - Marina Mall is one of Abu Dhabi's impressive modern shopping centres where, in addition to retail therapy, you can go ice skating, watch a movie or just enjoy some delicious food. There are more than 400 shops in here, including big names like Chanel, Gucci, Hugo Boss and Burberry.
- Abu Dhabi Mall - Like Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi Mall has a vast array of retailers, as well as plenty of other attractions, including the child-friendly Kidoos play area and entertainment centre to keep little ones amused.
- Madinat Zayed Shopping Centre - This complex is home to a wide selection of fashion retailers, but the main reason to shop here is for its gold stores and souks. There are over 70 jewellery outlets in this mall, as well as Abu Dhabi's only gold centre.
Rest and relaxation in Abu Dhabi
If you choose to just spend a few days in Abu Dhabi to break up your long journey to the Indian Ocean, then you may be more interested in hitting one of its beautiful beaches and simply relaxing after your flight.
The Corniche, which runs alongside the city, is one of the best stretches of sand in the emirate and close to all the amenities you could need. For somewhere a little more peaceful, head to the charming and luxurious Saadiyat Island - this is a great place to stay if you're looking for a high-end hotel in Abu Dhabi.
There are also a host of five-star spas in Abu Dhabi, so if you're in need of a soothing massage or want to reinvigorate your weary body after travelling, book in for a treatment and feel all your troubles simply melt away. Many of the wellness centres are located within the emirate's outstanding hotels, so if a spa day is important to you; make sure you book a room somewhere that offers these services.
Multicentre holidays in Abu Dhabi Browse all
Experience Arabian Luxury Throughout Your Whole Stay
- With 14 restaurants and bars covering every type of dining occasion, you will struggle to repeat the same dining experience due to the exceptional dining facilities on offer at Grand Hyatt
- Enjoy the amazing Fish Market restaurant in Abu Dhabi, where you can choose the freshest of fish and have it cooked how you like it
- Scenic setting set in the heart of Dubai
Delve into the rich cultures of Thailand and Abu Dhabi with one exciting break
- Tranquil rooftop pool in Bangkok
- Beachfront location in Abu Dhabi
- Award winning dining choices in Bangkok
Explore Hong Kong local life with a stay in the heart of vibrant Kowloon combined with a trip to the impressive city of Abu Dhabi, staying in utter luxury
- Three outdoor pools in Abu Dhabi
- Observation deck on the 74th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Central location in the heart of Kowloon
Enjoy stunning views of Hong Kong Island from your rooftop pool before heading to the glamorous hub of Abu Dhabi
- Both hotels offer a range of restaurants and bars to cater to any travellers fancy
- Enjoy the unique glass sided rooftop pool at the Harbour Grand Kowloon
- Ideally located minutes from the world famous Ferrari World Abu Dhabi Theme Park at the Crowne Plaza
Start off your holiday at Al Raha Beach followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
Experience hospitality at its finest, then treat yourself to a trip of a lifetime to Abu Dhabis most beautiful beach hotel
- There are experiences that are only possible in Abu Dhabi, such as one of the most stunning mosques in the world, scaling the heights of the world's tallest tower and experiencing a camel race.
- Scenic outdoor bathing pools and couples-friendly suites accentuate The Spa's philosophy of providing an intimate, revitalising haven for sharing those special moments
- Abu Dhabi offers endless possibilities from championship golf, upscale shopping malls, international cuisine and spectacular deserts to wonderful watersports, unique cultural sights and pristine Gulf beaches.
Treat yourself to a truly unique experience by combining two luxury hotels in one trip and discover the best of the...
Set along the Links Championship Golf Course on Yas Island, the luxurious Crowne Plaza features a 30 yards outdoor pool...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Overview India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From...
Smartline Eriyadu is located in the far North Western edge of the North Male Atoll. The island is perfect for a tropical...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
This contemporary 4* hotel is centrally located in Al Barsha and provides easy access to the Sheikh Zayed Road and the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Surrounded by 37 acres of landscaped gardens, Grand Hyatt Dubai evokes a contemporary and luxurious feel. Located in...
Combine stunning Abu Dhabi with vibrant Dubai and enjoy your stay at the excellent Crowne Plaza Hotels.
The Beach Rotana Hotel is set on a pristine stretch of white beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. Located in the...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Related articles for Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi NewsBrowse all Abu Dhabi News
Marriott International has launched its first Edition hotel brand in Abu Dhabi. The Abu Dhabi Edition is located in the upscale new Al Bateen Marina area of the emirate. The luxury hotel has 198 guest rooms and suites and 57 serviced apartments, as well as a lavish spa and multiple restaurants including three fronted by Michelin-starred chef Tom Aitken.
Hyatt Hotels has officially opened the Andaz Capital Gate Abu Dhabi. Located in the Capital Gate Building which is known as the “Leaning Tower of Abu Dhabi” because the building leans to the side at an 18-degree incline. The hotel has 189 guest rooms and suites with floor-to-ceiling windows, and facilities including the Rayana Spa and a permanent art gallery.
Dusit Thani Abu Dhabi has been named as the global winner of the "Luxury Banquet/Event Hotel" category in the World Luxury Hotel Awards. The upscale hotel has 527 guest rooms and suites and caters well for business travellers. One of the property's highlights is its glass-panelled Skydome foyer that spans 2,000 square metres and is perfect for exhibitions, and car and product launches.