Abu Dhabi - Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- When is the best time to go?
- Do you need a visa?
- How can I get there?
- What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
- What is there to see and do?
- Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
- When is Ramadan?
- Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
When is the best time to go?
The climate in Abu Dhabi is sub-tropical and arid, with sunshine and little rain for most of the year. November to April is considered to be the most pleasant time to visit in terms of weather, with cooler temperatures of around 24 degrees C during the day and 13 degrees C overnight. During the summer, temperatures can be as high as 42 degrees C.
Do you need a visa?
British citizens can obtain a free 30-day visa on arrival at Abu Dhabi International Airport. If you wish to stay longer, you need to visit an immigration office to obtain an extension and pay the relevant fee
How can I get there?
There are direct flights from London Heathrow and Manchester airports to Abu Dhabi International Airport, with Etihad Airways operating from both cities and British Airways offering flights from London. The flight time from London is approximately seven hours and 45 minutes, while from Manchester it is seven hours and 55 minutes.
What is the local currency and what currency should I take?
The UAE dirham is the local currency, with one dirham made up of 100 fils. You can exchange foreign currency in banks, licensed exchange offices and some hotels once you arrive - you'll need to have your passport with you. Debit and credit cards are widely accepted in Abu Dhabi, although small shops and souks may only accept cash.
What is there to see and do?
Abu Dhabi has a wide variety of attractions, from high-end shopping malls and championship-standard golf courses to theme parks and heritage sites, such as the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. You can also take a camel safari into the desert to see the amazing sand dunes or visit the oasis city of Al Ain. Corniche Beach is a popular seaside promenade stretching over 8Km, along which you will find a variety of hotels, restaurants, cafes, shops, children's play areas, separate cycle and pedestrian walk
Is Abu Dhabi a family-friendly destination?
Most of the upmarket hotels in Abu Dhabi were constructed with families firmly in mind, making it a great place to travel with children. Many of the hotels have more than two pools, with at least one designed for kids and offer a wide range of water and land-based recreational facilities for the whole family.
When is Ramadan?
The date of Ramadan changes each year and is determined by the moon's cycle. Special committees decide the precise dates of Ramadan and they are usually not announced very far in advance1 so if you want to find out make sure you check with a travel advisor before booking your holiday. Ramadan lasts for approximately 29 to 30 days each year.
Is it safe to travel outside the hotel?
Abu Dhabi is considered to be a safe place to travel around, although it's wise to take the same precautions you would when you're visiting any foreign country. Make sure you only use licensed taxis or public transport, while women should take care when travelling alone.
Abu Dhabi Holidays Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Enjoy a special break in Abu Dhabi, that comes complete with great shopping, a fabulous beach and spa club, and all at an affordable price.
- Choose from 15 award-winning restaurants and bars including a famous Jazz Bar
- One of the longest stretches of private beach in Abu Dhabi
- Facilities include swimming pools, tennis courts and a selection of watersports
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Benefit from the best of two destinations, combining India with Abu Dhabi, for a once in a lifetime experience
- Unwind in the Talise spa with 13 treatment suites
- Visit the magical Taj mahal and Amber Fort in India
- Take advantage of three swimming pools and a private beach in Abu Dhabi
Unwind and remove all the stresses of modern life with this amazing twin destination offer
- Enjoy a wide range of flavours and exoctic meal with the onsite restaurants
- Loose yourself in the Sheraton Spa and benefit from a plethora of treatments
- Visit the iconic and famous Taj Mahal
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Revel in the sun-drenched charms of the UAE's capital as you enjoy four unforgettable days in the heart of the Middle...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
Smartline Eriyadu is located in the far North Western edge of North Male Atoll, the island is the perfect tropical...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Stay in Downtown Abu Dhabi and be pampered by Arabian hospitality. The Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi offers excellent service...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi NewsBrowse all Abu Dhabi News
The Radisson Blu and Park Inn by Radisson hotels in Yas Island in Abu Dhabi have launched a new summer package that gives its guests unlimited access to the newly-opened Warner Bros World theme park. The luxury package includes accommodation, breakfast and tickets to the huge indoor attraction for two adults and one child, as well as access to Yas Beach.
The extensive hospitality and entertainment complex, Yas Island in Abu Dhabi will bring a heightened sense of comfort, convenience and fun to its visitors through a partnership with Microsoft. The two companies will collaborate on a project for digital transformation, which is set to make the Yas Island theme park experience truly remarkable and exciting.
Abu Dhabi has recorded an increase of 4.9 percent in the number of hotel guests in the first five months of 2018, compared to the same period in 2017. The Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi has release new figures that show hotel occupancy rates averaging at 75 percent during the period between January and May this year. The majority of visitors originated from China.