Day Tour to Kandy - Sri Lanka's Treasures
Duration: Half Day
Spend a day exploring the historical and natural treasures of Kandy during your holiday in Sri Lanka. Not to be missed, this sacred ancient capital is one of the most beautiful cities on the island, famous for its spectacular scenery and numerous shrines and temples. Boasting a rich heritage, the city was established in the 15th century and was the last capital of the Sri Lankan Kings before it fell under British rule in 1815. Ancient temples, botanical gardens and breathtaking vistas are just some of the tour highlights of this unique UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Surrounded by the mystical hills of the Knuckles Mountain Range, the picturesque city of Kandy is renowned for its beautiful lakeside setting, which has attracted travellers to this part of the island for centuries. Get your camera ready to capture the stunning views as we take the scenic ‘lake drive’, enabling you to see the city, lake and the golden roof of the 16th century Temple of the Tooth (Dalada Maligawa) from a high vantage point. We then make our way to the temple itself to see the casket that reputedly contains the remains of the Buddha’s sacred tooth.
The final stop of the tour is a visit to the largest botanical garden in Sri Lanka and one of the most beautiful in Asia. Situated along the Mahaweli River, the Peradiniya Botanical Gardens (also known as the Royal Botanical Gardens of Peradeniya) date back to the 14th century, during the reign of King Vikrama Bahu III. They were used as royal pleasure gardens before colonial times, and then by Lord Mountbatten, the supreme commander of the allied forces in South Asia, as headquarters during the Second World War. The gardens were also used as the setting for some of the scenes of the famous World War II film The Bridge on the River Kwai in 1957, which was filmed on the island.
Wander along the winding paths at your leisure and enjoy the sounds of nature and the beautiful landscapes, which are adorned with lush vegetation, exotic trees and plants and brightly-coloured ornamental flowers, as well as bridges, pavilions and a beautiful ornamental lake. The garden is renowned for its vast collection of orchids (more than 300 varieties), which can be viewed in the orchard house, as well as spices, medicinal plants and palms trees.
After free time relaxing and exploring here, we make our way back down to the coast, arriving at your hotel by late afternoon. If you only have time to visit one city in Sri Lanka, Kandy certainly has much to offer the avid traveller.
Sri Lanka Holidays Browse all
Combine discovering the rainforests, temples and fishing villages of Sri Lanka's west coast, with exploring the infamous cutting edge developments in Dubai, within one invigorating holiday.
- Surround yourself with cutting edge opulence in Dubai.
- Surround yourself with tropical beauty, culture and history in Sri Lanka.
- Cheerful and exotic, yet affordable.
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventurer's dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining, nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
The ideal mix of Sri Lankan culture with the Highlights of Sri Lanka tour and a beach relaxation and vibrant Dubai
Enjoy a private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy followed by a beach stay
- Get the chance to visit Sri Lanka's archaeological World Heritage Sites recognized by UNESCO, which are ancient cities of Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa & Kandy
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- Combine this trip with a stopover in Dubai with a newly opened hotel in a primary location opposite of Burj Khalifa
You will enjoy a perfect mix of beach and city in this attractive selection of hotel and destinations. Mermaid Hotel and...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...
Experience a warm Sri Lankan welcome at the Jetwing Blue Hotel. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens & a golden sand...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
This resort is spread across two acres of lush coconut groves and tropical gardens by the golden sands of Kalutura...
The place where "space meets light", the Tangerine Beach Hotel is a heavenly fusion of modern and ancient elegant...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Jetwing Beach Resort sits beside a beautiful sun kissed stretch of beach, just outside the coastal town of Negombo. The...
Vivanta by Taj Bentota is located on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka beside the golden mile beach at Bentota. Set on a...
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1755 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Related articles for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka NewsBrowse all Sri Lanka News
The Sri Lankan capital of Colombo will soon have a new luxury property, the InterContinental Colombo. Scheduled to open in 2019, the new property will be centrally located on Colombo's Galle Road and is expected to be the tallest hotel tower in the city.
The luxurious Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo in Sri Lanka has announced the launch of its urban safari experiences. The unique bespoke experiences have been created to take guests off the beaten path, and include tuk-tuk rides through Colombo, gemstone sessions with a local expert, a tour of four Buddhist temples, and walking tours of the city at sunset.
The Movenpick Hotel Colombo in Sri Lanka has appointed a new General Manager. George Koumendakos has taken over the role at the luxury five-star hotel in Colombo city centre, and he brings more than 30 years of experience in the hospitality sector to the position. The hotel opened in January 2016 and has 219 guest rooms and suites, a spa, a rooftop bar, themed restaurant and an infinity pool.